Should I get the extended warranty?

I don't think I've ever bought the extended warranty, and I've bought several electronics in the past 10 years where I could have. I can only think of one item that failed that was covered under a warranty. I happily paid to replace it, since it was way cheaper than what all of those extended warranties would have cost. I have a friend at work who buys them every time. He's used one exactly once, for his kid's DSi. He told me how glad he was that he bought it. I asked him how much he spent on extended warranties and how much they've paid him back. I don't think he's bought one since.

By the way, didn't Best Buy get into some legal trouble with those some years ago? I seem to remember the words, scam, and buyer pressure being used.

I have never purchased an extended warranty. If electronics are going to fail, they usually do so in the first 20-50 hours of operation....... well withing the 1-year warranty provided by the manufacturer. All those peddling EWs can kiss my pink pimply arse.

I was taken by how the article describes some of the newer ways retailers take advantage of consumers who don't pay attention.

Extended warranties are known profit makers for retailers and other sellers. Typically, they are overpriced, too. You may be able to bargain about the price of the warranty at selling time as part of the deal or, better yet, shop around. Many companies offer extended warranties and the cost varies considerably.

Only extended warranty I've ever bought was for my LED Tv (was 3200 when I bought it, so it was worth it imo)

Never ever bought a warranty and never will. Mind you, I pretty much buy everything second hand anyway.

Most reactions

Back