Should I keep shooting with my current camera.

ernestoc33

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I started with photography about 2 years ago. I've been shooting with a Sony Alpha-330 with the kit lens since then. I've improved my skills a lot since I first started, but sometimes I feel like this camera holds me back a little. A lot of people I know shoot with Canon and they can usually find lenses and accessories cheap, and overall seem to have a better experience. I don't have a lot of extra cash so I haven't gotten any additional lenses because they run about 200-300+ for the cheaper lenses.

I've considered selling my camera or trading it in for a used Canon DSLR. Any thoughts or suggestions, should I stick it out with my beloved Sony lol.

thanks in advance.

Yes, well. Welcome to the Wonderful World of Photography!!
"Photography is not a hobby for the faint of wallet." (I think that's from Kundalini, someone correct me if I'm wrong...)

It ain't cheap to love photography. If you switch to Canon, you might be able to find MORE lenses and accessories, a few of them might even be *cheaper* (cheaper being a relative term in that sense). BUT--to get GOOD glass, it's gonna cost the bucks.

As a single mom with two boys in college, I can definitely relate to the "not having a lot of extra cash" problem. Although I've known for several years that I wanted to get back into photography more seriously than I had been when the kids were little, it took me about 3-4 years to finally feel like I could afford the plunge to my first DSLR this past August. And, since then, all I've had is the kit lens (and the occasional ability to borrow lenses from my sister). This month, I've finally been able to afford two new lenses, which I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of!

My point: If it were me--
1) Yes, I'd switch, to either Canon or Nikon (which is what I have). Simply because it IS easier to find USED equipment for those brands, since they're the most popular.
BUT:
2) I wouldn't make that switch until you can buy the body and at least ONE decent lens, not just the kit lens. Quality glass will make WAY more difference than just the fact that you have a DSLR.

That's my 1.75 cents' worth.

You can get a good setup for ~600 or so on either brand. I prefer Nikon, so I'll do that one. Entry-level: Used D5000($379) with 50mm 1.8($225) Mid-range: Used D90 ($550) with 50 1.8 or 35 1.8($199)

Even if you switch to a different brand, you will still run into the same issue. Quality lens cost more money.
Here is the thing. Before you spending your money on photography gears, in which area you think your current camera setup cannot do what you need to do?

Find those limitations and then look for solutions. It could be photography gears upgrade or something else. Let's take an example.

- You like to take a photo of your friend with your friend in focus while the background is out of focus (blur background), can your current setup do that? If not, what next?
- You like to take a photo of a insect in details, but they all look like tiny little dot in your photos. What can be done to solve it?
- You take your camera to the race track, but the race cars just too far away. What do you need to do to bring them closer or appear closer in the photos?
- Well, the race cars are closer, but the photos of the race car seems lifeless. They all looks like the race cars just park on the race track. What gears do you need to improve that?

So identify the issue and then find a solutions. Otherwise, you will be running around in circle.

Yep I agree, work out what it is you want to do with your photography and aim in that direction. A good question to ask yourself is "What have I found I can't do that I would like to, with my current set up". Otherwise it's all too easy to spend the cash on new gadgetry for the sake of it.
Also +1 for good lenses cost more. Grinding and coating the glass that accurately costs a lot to produce, so it's one of the relatively few areas where you get what you pay for...

Sony bought Konica Minolta's camera business back in 2006 to get started in the DSLR market. So Minolta lenses (there's bunches of them out there) will mount on your Sony.

Your Sony a-330 is likely mostly a Minolta design.

Sony bought Konica Minolta's camera business back in 2006 to get started in the DSLR market. So Minolta lenses (there's bunches of them out there) will mount on your Sony.

Your Sony a-330 is likely mostly a Minolta design.
Actually yes the Maxxum AF line of their lenses fits my A330.

I mainly like taking night shots and landscape photography.
Heres a few I took the other day.
Las Vegas Strip | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The main thing I can't do is good depth of field and I need a zoom lens ASAP lol.

I mainly like taking night shots and landscape photography.

The main thing I can't do is good depth of field and I need a zoom lens ASAP lol.

For night shots and landscape type photography, the kit lens should do fine in most cases. I believe you meant you need a telephoto lens instead of zoom lens. You kit lens is also a zoom lens since you can adjust the focal length of the lens.

As for depth of field (DoF), I guess you like to take a photo with shallow DoF. With kit lens, you still can, but it depends on the situation. It is easier to do with a lens that has a wider aperture and longer focal length.

You may need to read more about DoF -> Online Depth of Field Calculator

Again, think about what type of photos you like to take and go from there. I am sure there are options out there.

For telephoto zoom lens, like this one, it may works with your camera. (Please don't take my words for it, since I am not too familiar with Sony/Minolta products. Do your own research)
Excellent Konica Minolta Maxxum AF 100-200mm F4.5 (22) Macro For Sony Minolta | eBay

Review on that lens: Minolta AF 100-200 F4.5 lens reviews

And I read that in the past, a lot of people like the BeerCan 70-210 F4 lens !
They are a little over hundred in ebay.
Like this one

MINOLTA MAXXUM AF 70-210MM f/4 ZOOM LENS FOR SONY WARRANTY (043325431715) | eBay

and this one

Minolta Maxxum AF 70-210mm f4 Beercan Lens | eBay

Again, don't take my words for it, search around and ask people who are familiar with Sony/Minolta equipment. OR ask the seller.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I kind of doubt it is lens selection that is holding you back, or the capability of the camera. I would instead put the money you're thinking about putting into a new camera just into a really good lens for your Sony.

I kind of doubt it is lens selection that is holding you back, or the capability of the camera. I would instead put the money you're thinking about putting into a new camera just into a really good lens for your Sony.

I started looking on B&H and found a few telephoto and prime lenses for 50-100 made for Minolta so I'm going to get them and keep my sony.

Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate it.

Most reactions

Back