Should I remove the shovel?

I would. No law says you can't. And it would be easy to do.

I would also get rid of the green vet tag.... makes the dog look like it's drooling green slobber.

It's a glaring distraction in my opinion. Without it, I'd like this much, much better.
Perhaps if the entire shovel and person holding it were in the photo, it would add to the "story" but as it is, it just makes my eye keep going to the yellow instead of the beautiful dog.

I would leave it and crop the right side of the frame slightly to balance the dog and the shovel within the frame. The shovel grounds the image in reality, it connects the dog to wherever you were when you took the picture.

If you take it out, you completely change the image and make it purely about the dog, disconnected from the world. There's nothing wrong with that, that too could be a fine photograph. I think you will find that you have too much dead space -- the large areas of snow will be pointless and wasteful of space -- so you will want a substantially tighter crop in this case.

With the shovel it's an environmental portrait, and lots of space around the dog is appropriate. Without it, it's just a portrait, and a closer crop is indicated. Well, traditionally. Feel free to fly in the face of tradition, as well, if you like the results.

Remove the shovel if you can. It's a distraction. Wonderful photo by the way.

Make a copy of the photo. (Editing rule #1 - Never edit the original)

Edit the shovel out of the copy.

Compare the 2 photos, side by side if possible.

I would. No law says you can't. And it would be easy to do.

I would also get rid of the green vet tag.... makes the dog look like it's drooling green slobber.

That one made me laugh, it is really about what you see
Thanks for the comment!

I would leave it and crop the right side of the frame slightly to balance the dog and the shovel within the frame. The shovel grounds the image in reality, it connects the dog to wherever you were when you took the picture.

If you take it out, you completely change the image and make it purely about the dog, disconnected from the world. There's nothing wrong with that, that too could be a fine photograph. I think you will find that you have too much dead space -- the large areas of snow will be pointless and wasteful of space -- so you will want a substantially tighter crop in this case.

With the shovel it's an environmental portrait, and lots of space around the dog is appropriate. Without it, it's just a portrait, and a closer crop is indicated. Well, traditionally. Feel free to fly in the face of tradition, as well, if you like the results.
I

Thanks for having your own opinion, I love the color yellow, I was wondering if it was just me...
I will try the edit tonight and post a version without the shovel and one with a closer crop.

Make a copy of the photo. (Editing rule #1 - Never edit the original)

Edit the shovel out of the copy.

Compare the 2 photos, side by side if possible.

Thank you, I did edit the originals at the beginning, and learned from my mistakes. Thanks for hte hint

Compare with and without.

83NoShovel_z_zps1f33a84a.jpg

$shovel.jpg

I thought the dog was taking attention away from the shovel.

Thanks Keith for your edit, I do like it better without the shovel, it really puts the dog more in focus.

Runnah, you made me laugh, normally that is what we should see because Trixie is not supposed to go on our skating ring.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back