Should I swap lenses?

cwcaesar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently got a used 12-24mm f/4 lens to go with my d7000. I have a 50mm, which seems a bit tight at times, and a 70-300mm. I got the wide angle so I could get a bit wider, but it is a lot wider than I really need. It is a good lens and all, but I am thinking about swapping it out for the new 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5. I think that the 24mm would be wide enough for me and it would fill in a lot of gaps; it could even do for a walk around lens.

I guess I am mostly looking to see if anyone has used this new lens on a crop sensor. How does it compare to the much more expensive 24-70mm? Plus, I am looking to have all my glass full frame compatible, and the 12-24mm is DX only.

What would you do? I am pretty sure that the 12-24 is being returned. What should I replace it with?

Thanks.

Edit: (Mods, I just saw the 'lenses' sub-forum. Could you please move this thread to there? Thanks.)

My suggestion would be a 35mm prime. The problem you have is with the 50mm being too long for your general walk around use. 35mm is a much more "normal" focal length for the D7000. Or, just get a cheap little Nikon 18-55 kit lens, even though it may feel like a toy, its' IQ is pretty good.

With 50mm and 70-300mm, I would probably get a D600 or a used D700, instead of a new lens.

I recently bought a used 17-55 f2.8 and it's the best lens I've ever owned... if you're DX, a used one can run your $850.00.
But outside of that... do try the 35mm f1.8 for it's awesome.

Lots of people don't like the 24-70mm'ish range lenses on DX bodies.. Personally, i had an old 28-70mm on my DX body for years and loved it (until it died a horrible death in mexico).

Keep in mind the new 24-86mm f/3.5-4.5 is a 'Kit Lens'... I'm sure its a fine lens but something with a fixed aperture would be better.

I would look at the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8. It's a great range, nice and sharp and has a constant f/2.8.

UWA's like the 12-24mm are very hard to use. It takes some learning/playing to get the hang of them.. Every time i think of selling mine i talk myself out of it. The few times a year i use it i'm always glad i still have it :)

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I to intend to get a D600 eventually, but I will have to start making money from my hobby before I can justify that to the wife. In the mean time, I will continue to stock up on some FX glass.

I do want a 35mm f/1.8 so I went to Adorama and was ready to check out. I even had a UV protective filter selected to go with it. Before I checked out I decided to look at the used lenses. What I found was a 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 for only $75 more than the 35mm. This is the older one without the VR, but I thought that was still a good price for one in 'E' condition. So I got this lens instead. Maybe I will get the 35mm after Christmas.

If FX is where you will eventual go, then your selection is wise. Of course with your current 7000, 24 mm may not do a lot of job especially indoor shoot a group photo

Lots of people don't like the 24-70mm'ish range lenses on DX bodies.. Personally, i had an old 28-70mm on my DX body for years and loved it (until it died a horrible death in mexico).
i love my 24-70 on DX, that being said, it seems to me a better range on FX but to each his own, great lens if you can afford the pretty penny regardless of what body its on

Most reactions

New Topics

Back