Should I upgrade??

edz101

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi. I am an enthusiast (between the lines of beginner and intermediate) and have been travelling recently and plans to travel more in the next year. I have been using a Canon Rebel t5i for the past 4 years. Unfortunately, I did not get to fully maximize this camera as I only started to travel more frequently. However, I feel as though other cameras now have better specifications than my current one. I was wondering about upgrading. I would like to try a Nikon camera but because I already have other lenses for Canon bodies, I'm leaning more into upgrading to a Canon 80D. What do you think? Is it pertinent for me to upgrade my Canon body now I am more knowledgeable with DSLR cameras? Or should I just wait?

I hope you can help me decide.

Depends on what lenses you have.

Getting better images is not necessarily solved by just getting a new camera body. The T5i is a capable body and is light and has plenty of features. It's learning how to get the most of out the equipment you have and determining what it cannot do that you are wanting to do. Learning the exposure triangle, composition, identifying what is interesting about the subject you are photographing and how to convey that in a still photo.

Now, if you are taking video, then I would say that yes, the 80D is much more suited than the T5i.

Unless you can describe how your current camera body is holding you back (and your post does not do that) there is no reason you should upgrade.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agreeing with the above two posts.

Photography:
You have not explained where the T5I is failing you. My son @ZombiesniperJr runs this body quite successfully in pretty difficult situations.
I would not upgrade unless you are finding that you cannot shoot what/the way you want because of the camera and lets be honest 90% of ALL photographers almost never hit the limits of their camera. Gear purchases are normally a want.

Video:
The 80D does provide video features that the T5I just can't match so this would be a bit different. The question here is. Do I need these features or is this another case of I want this feature with no real intent to exploit it?

If in fact you can answer yes to either the camera holding you back or the features you need and will use, then it's a good upgrade. If you can't answer these then it's really just a waste of money.

Most reactions

Back