Should I Wait?

halimi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking to buy a new general walk-around type lens and have narrowed down the hunt to the following three lenses:

Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM
Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM

The 17-55 is appealing because of the image stabilizer and the f/2.8 which would come in handy because I take a lot of indoor photos in various relatively low light settings. However, the 24-105 and 24-70 attract me because of their longer range. Basically, I am looking for a lens with an image stabilizer, f/2.8 capability, and a range comparable to the 24-105 or 24-70 lenses.

For my personal uses, having multiple lenses to take on this task would defeat the purpose of having a general use walk-around type lens. I haven't seen anything of this nature in Canon's lineup so far, but I'm curious to see if they will be offering something that will meet my requirements in the near future (within the next 12 months). Anybody have the inside word on Canon's upcoming releases?

Also, for those of you who have any of the above three lenses, I hear so much about their pros, I was wondering if anyone would have any cons they have experienced that they can share...

So you want cons...

EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS... can't use EF-S lenses... and I don't like them

EF 24-70 f2.8.. wonderful IQ and fast aperture.. too heavy.. too short of a focal range. This is the wedding photog' lens also known as "the brick."

EF 24-105 f4L IS.. An Awsome a very flexible walk around lens. Canon markets it as such. Relatively slow max aperture (even though a decade ago this would have been considered fast for a zoom)

You are missing one... EF 28-135 IS. Good walk around lens at a more reasonable budget.

Do a search on the last two here.. you'll see that 24-70 versus 24-105 threads comes up frequently... more has been said in those threads than you can shake a stick at.

Unfortunately Canon doesn't have a 24-70 or 24-105 that has both F2.8 and IS. There is the 17-55, for cropped sensors though.

The 17-85 & the 28-135 are good 'walk around' lenses with IS...but the max aperture leaves a bit to be desired.

One thing to consider is weight. The 27-70mm F2.8, for example, is nicknamed 'The Brick'...because it weights about as much as an actual brick. The 24-105 F4 is a fair bit lighter, I believe.

I don't know if or when Canon will come out with what you want...a 24-70 F2.8 with IS....or a 24-105 F2.8 IS. They are usually pretty tight lipped about new products. I would not be surprised to see a new lens like that, become a top seller...so I don't know why they don't have one.

There is no point in waiting if you don't know.

Cons? Yeah....There all over $1000. That's about it. Still waiting on the EF 24-70 f/2.8 L IS Canon....What's the hold-up?!?!?! Afraid of making more money?

Cons? Yeah....There all over $1000. That's about it. Still waiting on the EF 24-70 f/2.8 L IS Canon....What's the hold-up?!?!?! Afraid of making more money?

Has Canon announced an EF 24-70 f/2.8 L with image stabilizer? I'll wait if they have but I don't want to be waiting around for something that's not going to show up, at least within the next 12 months. I guess I'm just going to have to make a decision and pull the trigger on this one...

Thanks for the help...

Has Canon announced an EF 24-70 f/2.8 L with image stabilizer?
Not that I've seen...and I would think that it would be pretty big news in the photo world...so I'd say that; No the haven't.

As for what they are going to do in the next 12 months...who knows?

A few months ago, Canon announced two new IS lenses (SEE HERE)...but as far as I know...they have yet to actually be released. Maybe there is a problem with their new IS technology?

Most reactions

Back