Should photographing children in public be illegal?

Should photographing children in public be illegal?

• Yes, without parents consent, no photos.

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • No, nothing wrong with it.

Votes: 19 95.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ilovemycam

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Should photographing children in public should be illegal without the parents consent?

Define a child as any person under the age under 16.

oh great.. another one.

Did you miss that last blow up thread on this subject? lol!

No because its impossible to enforce and sets a precedent the will lead to the banning of all public photographing. Where would you draw the line? No photos with kids in the background?

Personally I find photographing random kids among other things, to be a very boring subject.

Should photographing children in public should be illegal without the parents consent?

Define a child as any person under the age under 16.

Must have.

Nothing to blow up over.

Either yes or no, everyone can have their opinion.

No because its impossible to enforce and sets a precedent the will lead to the banning of all public photographing. Where would you draw the line? No photos with kids in the background?

I'm not positive on this, but I think that is or at least was the exact situation in Australia. Parents couldn't even shoot photos of their own children when other children were near. I don't know if they fixed that or if I heard it from a bad source, but that is what I was told a few years ago.

I'm not positive on this, but I think that is or at least was the exact situation in Australia. Parents couldn't even shoot photos of their own children when other children were near. I don't know if they fixed that or if I heard it from a bad source, but that is what I was told a few years ago.

Anytime you let government makes laws they are ineffective and vague.

And really like all other laws its not going to stop people who are taking pictures for illegal reasons from doing so.

Anytime you let government makes laws they are ineffective and vague.

And really like all other laws its not going to stop people who are taking pictures for illegal reasons from doing so.

^this

This is not only very relaxed, but there are some who will fight tooth and nail to protect their right to photograph anything and anybody in public.

Lots of stuff is already illegal, but it still happens.

Laws can't protect everybody from everything.

Never heard that and am here?!? :S

Edit: Looked it up. Is this what you were thinking about Taking photographs and other images | ALRC
The way I read that (I only skimmed as I am at work) it was raised as a concern but didn't get much support. Similar to what has happened everywhere I imagine.

To give you the foundation of this poll...

This weekend I was at a block party at a Catholic church fundraiser. Was shooting candids. Some of them were kids, some not. The organizers hassled me lightly in the afternoon. Nothing concrete, just what is your name, what are you doing, where are you from, what do you do with the photos? Stayed a short time in the afternoon and left. Was just testing out a Widelux film cam...14 exposures was all I shot, maybe there 15 minutes.

Night time I go back with digital. Got off around 3 shots. Was there maybe 5 minutes or less. They came up to me and told me to leave or they will call the police. They said many parents complained about me earlier that afternoon. (Who is the pervert with the camera?) Since it was private property, I left.

That is the life of the photog that shoots kids nowadays.

Last edited:

Never heard that and am here?!? :S

Edit: Looked it up. Is this what you were thinking about Taking photographs and other images | ALRC
The way I read that (I only skimmed as I am at work) it was raised as a concern but didn't get much support. Similar to what has happened everywhere I imagine.

Thanks for clearing that up. I knew I had heard of something like that, most likely some article blowing it way out of proportion and acting as if it was already written in stone or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back