photographers in general

flyingPhoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Been reading on various photographers found through DIYphotography and have run into a few things that strike me odd.

So many of them give themselves an odd sense of time in what they have been doing, and in how long they have been doing it. I should explain that sentence and feeling.

I found one photographer, joe edelman. A good number of his articles are contradictory with his professional website, website material, and professional and personal statements that I had to look at his record. And a strange sense of time hit up fast.

He is either based on an interview published december 2019, 53 year years old, using nikon cameras for 42 years since he started photography at the age of 11. Or based on his current bio on his website as of 2021, an interesting 63 to 70 year old man with a 50+ year long career as an award winning photojournalist that started at the ages of either 9, or 20 depending on source material.

What hit me as truly odd, so much of his online articles are AGAINST any sort of photographic education other then "buy a camera, a book, and start using it and seeing what happens". But he seems to make most of his income solely through several pay per view internet podcasts, youtube channel, and selling his own brand of photography education classes and paid mentoring memberships on his site.

IS that the way the modern world of photography is now? make copy cat images of whatever is popular on instagram or reddit, and sell "knowledge" of how to do it in post production online?

Yes. Unless you’re a wedding or portrait photographer, the only way to make a real living in photography these days is to make it off of other photographers who want to learn. Workshops and paid tutorials are a booming business. There’s also an equal number of free tutorials available. With both the free and paid lessons it’s buyer beware as much of the info given out is wrong or only half right.

Us old timers gatta emphasis how we toiled walking uphill, both ways, while trying to be a "photographer".
So you all yout's need nothing more than just your gut.
Then we can get you all to give us money to learn how us "Masters" become great by watching a couple of U tub videos.

i got into photography back in 2018 with some 35mm canons and never could get the reasons why professionals seemed to only sell lessons.

During the covid qauruntine here in the states, i couldnt go on instagram without seeing a new advertisement from some photographer selling lessons.

i got into photography back in 2018 with some 35mm canons and never could get the reasons why professionals seemed to only sell lessons.

During the covid qauruntine here in the states, i couldnt go on instagram without seeing a new advertisement from some photographer selling lessons.
Because instagammer and Fakebook killed a huge chunk of professional business.

it's how they make money.

He is either based on an interview published december 2019, 53 year years old, using nikon cameras for 42 years since he started photography at the age of 11. Or based on his current bio on his website as of 2021, an interesting 63 to 70 year old man with a 50+ year long career as an award winning photojournalist that started at the ages of either 9, or 20 depending on source material.

Could be that the article wasn't *originally* published in 2019, but reprinted/recycled. Out of curiosity, what article are you referencing?

So I'm confused. Where in that article does it say that he's 53?

Dunno, it seems like a stretch to think that there's anything nefarious going on. It's normal for things on the internet to be recycled all the time and it's hard to know when they were actually created. Bios aren't automatically updated, especially if he's got a few of them on different sites (and that article above was posted by the photographer who seems to have a bio for that website, which may or may not be different from the bio on his website. I didn't care enough to check.) And the idea that he has instructional videos is not inconsistent with his suggestion that people should not go to school for photography. He fancies himself and his instruction to be outside of the system. YouTube tutorials are not the same as a formal education.

Im a rather moralized person. Grew up on cowboy films and the philosophy and intent behind say the truth..

The guy said he used nikon cameras for 42 years since he turned 11... that means that in that article he was at least 53 years old, but in an article 2 years later he is suddenly 63 to 70 years old...

If someone gets to be a brand ambassador for a product costing as much as the down payment on a new car,,,, one would expect lots of honesty.

you know how you feel with the typical car salesman.

In the article you posted he says he has over 42 years of professional experience. I'm sure it be fair to say that the experience mentioned was started well after he was 11.

Sometimes I think people overanalyze things.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back