shouldn't I see the f-stops?

sarallyn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone -- complete noob here (I've only ever used a sony cybershot dsc-650).

I just inherited a canon ae-1 (film camera... it's old, too) with a 35-135 mm f/3.5-4.5 lens.
My problem is that when I took the lens off and adjusted the f-stops, I couldn't see the hole widen or become smaller. When I look through the lens and adjust the f-stops, it looks like it just stays on the maximum aperture.
Is it supposed to be like that?? Is this a complete noob question, or is there something wrong? I'll be developing my first roll of film from it this weekend... I'll see how it turns out (probably absolutely horrible).

Thanks.

could it be locked?

on Nikon AF lenses there is a little switch.

I believe that the aperture remains at it's widest, until you trip the shutter. That's how modern lenses/cameras work.

Remember that you are looking though the lens when you look into the viewfinder. If the lens stopped down before the exposure, the viewfinder would get darker and harder to see, as less light was allowed in.

This is also why some cameras have a DOF preview button. It stops down the aperture so that you can preview the DOF...but of course, it makes it darker.

could it be locked?

on Nikon AF lenses there is a little switch.

nope -- I don't think it's locked. I can turn and switch to different f-stops, but nothing will appear in the lens.
one thing I just noticed when I took the lens off is that when I switch to different f-stops there is a little metal part on the base of the camera (that fits into the camera when the lens is one) that will move from side to side as I change the aperture.

I believe that the aperture remains at it's widest, until you trip the shutter. That's how modern lenses/cameras work.

hmm... I know the camera is from the 60s or 70s, and I'm sure the lens is pretty old, too.

but I think you're right... I'll have to see how my prints come out.

Hey everyone -- complete noob here (I've only ever used a sony cybershot dsc-650).

I just inherited a canon ae-1 (film camera... it's old, too) with a 35-135 mm f/3.5-4.5 lens.
My problem is that when I took the lens off and adjusted the f-stops, I couldn't see the hole widen or become smaller. When I look through the lens and adjust the f-stops, it looks like it just stays on the maximum aperture.
Is it supposed to be like that?? Is this a complete noob question, or is there something wrong? I'll be developing my first roll of film from it this weekend... I'll see how it turns out (probably absolutely horrible).

Thanks.

Darned right, it's old. Brings back memories. I had the AE1-P, a slightly upgraded version. In any event, with the lens off the camera, I don't think you'll see the aperture change. This is because you're always composing the shot with the lens wide open (there isn't enough light for the human eye when the lens is stopped down). When you press the shutter button, the lens stops down to the desired setting and the pic is taken. The lens immediately opens up again.

As I recall, there is a switch on the lens that will stop down the lens. It's intended to allow the photographer to view depth of field.

Remember that you are looking though the lens when you look into the viewfinder. If the lens stopped down before the exposure, the viewfinder would get darker and harder to see, as less light was allowed in.

This is also why some cameras have a DOF preview button. It stops down the aperture so that you can preview the DOF...but of course, it makes it darker.

I responded before I read your post. You're exactly correct.

alright, awesome!! glad there's nothing wrong. thanks for the responses!

Thanks.
It sounds like lube oil is leaking onto the aperture blades making them stick open. Flick the lever in back of the lens. It should close down with that. Regardless, it will need servicing unless you want to use it wide open all the time. Of course, that doesn't work with the AE-1 since it is a shutter priority based camera.

Flick the lever in back of the lens. It should close down with that.

The lever moves when I adjust the aperture; I think it's what the others suggested (the f-stop will close with the shutter).

The lever moves when I adjust the aperture; I think it's what the others suggested (the f-stop will close with the shutter).
With the lens off the camera, you should see the aperture blades close when turning the aperture ring.

With the lens off the camera, you should see the aperture blades close when turning the aperture ring.

Alright; since I'm afraid I'm going to break the lens if I try to fix the problem, I'll wait until next week so my new b&w photography teacher can help me out.

Alright; since I'm afraid I'm going to break the lens if I try to fix the problem, I'll wait until next week so my new b&w photography teacher can help me out.
Soon to be a student, huh? Good luck and enjoy.

What you can do is look on line for an instruction manual. It would probably be in the form of a PDF file. You can also take it to a camera shop if that's possible where, I'm sure, someone there will show you the basics and otherwise check it's operation for you.

My FD mount lenses (same as for the AE-1) behave like yours. The aperture blades close down part way when I remove the lens from the body, then do not move as I adjust the aperture ring. Moving the long lever does not move the aperture blades when the lens is off the camera, no matter what the aperture ring is set to.

The aperture operates correctly when the lens is mounted to the camera: it closes when a picture is taken and it closes when the DoF preview button is pressed.

When off the camera my Canon lenses behave differently from my Nikon and Leica lenses as far as aperture operation goes.

If the aperture closes down when you take a picture or when you operate the DoF preview button (if the lens is not set wide open) then you don't have a problem.

Good luck,
Helen

Most reactions

Back