Show photo - colour opinions, please.

Granddad

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Last Saturday I took photos at a dance performance. I like this shot but the stage lighting was red and thus so is the photo. Your opinions on the red version and on my colour "corrected" version will be much appreciated. Other C&C also will be appreciated.

This one is SOOC apart from cropping: (1) $SOOC-6364small.jpg (2) $ODII-6364small.jpg

Maybe split the difference with the red and darken the background.

More like this? (A quick edit)

$ODII-6364small2.jpg

Edited: Hmmmm.. the background looks redder in PS.

I was thinking so the background was almost black, but the color on the dancer is spot on.

In this case, and similar, I think you would want to examine the director's intent with the red light. Was the red light an integral element of the performance, or at least in this move? Yes, you seem to have gotten the skin color correct in your edit, but it has removed the light and the effect of the red light on the audience.

Did you do this for the dancer, or the production company? If so, maybe you should show them both versions and get their input.

I don't like the colour corrected one - the coloured lights are part of the show! But it was a bit stong on the original, so I can see your desire to do something.

I do quite like your split the difference version - it looks like a good balance between preserving and correcting to me.

I don't like the colour corrected one - the coloured lights are part of the show! But it was a bit stong on the original, so I can see your desire to do something.

I do quite like your split the difference version - it looks like a good balance between preserving and correcting to me.

I wasn't sure about the corrected one either, which is why I put it up for comments. :)

Designer: In this case, and similar, I think you would want to examine the director's intent with the red light. Was the red light an integral element of the performance, or at least in this move? Yes, you seem to have gotten the skin color correct in your edit, but it has removed the light and the effect of the red light on the audience.

Did you do this for the dancer, or the production company? If so, maybe you should show them both versions and get their input.
The producer didn't give any suggestions and knowing him (the guy in the photo) he just wants some good photos that he can use for publicity when he takes the show to the next stage of the tour (Australia). I shot as an "official" independent shooter with the intent of selling images to the dancers who are local girls.

I'll go back to working on the 1st process of the rest of the batch of 1100 shots and come back to this one - I got a bit distracted in the detail! At the end of the day I may decide that it's not sharp enough to justify so much post work. :er:

Thanks a bunch guys, your intelligent opinions and feedback help hugely. :D

I think the ambient color of the stage lighting, while may be effective for the audience, is a bit lost on a photograph. i much prefer your color corrected one.
yes you lose the red and whatever effect it was supposed to have, but you get a much nicer picture.

Honestly, I much prefer the color corrected version. I grant that the red lighting may impart a reaction when seen live, when the viewer has other elements on stage for contrast and has been been led to that point. But I feel - and it may be as simple a the fact that the red-lit skin is so close to the red costume - that any emotional impact of the red lighting is negated by the entire frame being so red. I see where you were going with the intermediate edit, and maybe a more careful edit might work (his torso/left hand seem more like a pink sunburn, and they don't match his face/right hand). I also suspect that a combination of the first two might convey the emotional impact better - the color-corrected dancer with the red-cast floor and backdrop.

By the way, nice timing on capturing that pose! Would you mind posting the uncropped version? This one feels slightly cramped to me. I've been debating where I'd like to see the extra space (top and right, so he's "looking" into more space, or maybe also some more below to include his reflection?).

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I shoot a fair number of live dance shows and the coloured lighting rarely translates well into photographs. Most of the directors have no thought of photography when they plan their sets. I try to work with what I get and get the best results I can without going OTT in post. Bare in mind that I may have hundreds of photos after the first cull to dump the rubbish so I can only spend the time to do the full works on a few shots that have potential.

I'd play around with this one some more (and post the uncropped version with an invitation to see what you make of it) but I just finished my first cull of this set and I'm not sure if my eyes are portrait aspect or lanscape! If possible I'll put the sooc one up later this evening. :)

The original just blends in together and doesn't really pull me towards the subject let alone the feel for the image. The color... apologies, (colour for the Euro folk) the colour corrected version gives me more of a visual of the energy in there. Maybe because there is more separation from the subject and background? IDK.

OK, here's the full size, uncropped, SOOC image converted to JPG. I'd be interested to see what other people come up with. Note that although Ozgen is Turkish he lives in England - that accounts for the fact that his face is tanned but his torso is pasty white. ;)

$ODII-6364-3.jpg

Ozgen is one of the top Turkish/Gypsy dancers in Europe and - he's also a pleasant person. I took this set at his show "One Day in Istanbul" in Leeds last weekend. I understand he'll be taking it to Australia next and then (if all goes well) to the USA. If you get a chance to see it I recommend it highly.

Last edited:
nope...still like your color adjusted version much better

$ODII-6364-3-2.jpg

When in doubt, get rid of the color!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back