Shutter speed above 1/4000

hamlet

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm wondering if someone ever really needs a shutter speed faster than 1/4000? Say your camera can go up to 1/8000, what would you shoot with this that you couldn't with 1/4000?

50mm f1.4 wide open on a very sunny day

To put the question more specifically: is there anything that a shutter speed beyond 1/4000 can freeze that a shutter speed of 1/4000 cannot?

As gsgary states more often than not 1/1000 is enough for most. But faster is required by some. The Canon 1d could do 1/16000th sec. Bullets need fast shutter speeds to freeze ��

To put the question more specifically: is there anything that a shutter speed beyond 1/4000 can freeze that a shutter speed of 1/4000 cannot?
some insects, maybe....

I think it is primarily for too much light, fast lenses and shallow dofs. only so low the iso can go, shutter speed has to go up unless you have a filter.
I hardly ever go over a thousand personally. Probably count on one hand the times I have been over two thousand. I wouldn't need 8 but I don't shoot a lot of higher end fast lenses either I am shooting on glaring bright days or situations..

As gsgary states more often than not 1/1000 is enough for most. But faster is required by some. The Canon 1d could do 1/16000th sec. Bullets need fast shutter speeds to freeze ��

I've thought about panning very rapidly and spraying at 1/8000 a second to freeze a bullet. Not sure if that can work. :mrgreen:

some insects, maybe....

I think it is primarily for too much light, fast lenses and shallow dofs. only so low the iso can go, shutter speed has to go up unless you have a filter.
I hardly ever go over a thousand personally. Probably count on one hand the times I have been over two thousand. I wouldn't need 8 but I don't shoot a lot of higher end fast lenses either I am shooting on glaring bright days or situations..

I always underexpose by two stops if i have to go beyond a certain iso amount. To me that is a good tactic to get some extra shutter speed, or at least that is my impression.

It would have to be a combination of factors that would warrant that speed in my opinion.

A large aperture, bright light, and a fast moving subject.

Maybe if you wanted to capture a bullet leaving a gun while a guy stands with the sun behind him. :D

Paintball. The ball has speed about 100 m per second for 1/4000 it goes 0,025 m with the diameter 17 mm = 0,017 m it will blury on a photo. With 1/8000 it won't be round anyway but from a proper angle one can get almost sharp ball on a picture. If one can solve the problem jaomul noticed with ND filter but 1/8000 could be usefull for some high speed sports.

Last edited:
some insects, maybe....

I always underexpose by two stops if i have to go beyond a certain iso amount. To me that is a good tactic to get some extra shutter speed, or at least that is my impression.

I'm fairly sure in digital photography underexposing and rectifying in post is one of the best possible ways to degrade your image quality. It seems to me you are contradicting yourself by your own very question. You ask when 1/4000 isn't fast enough yet talk about underexposing when you can't get a speed fast enough. Maybe I am misunderstanding you

(Edit- on 're reading I see you are now talking about iso and gaining speed which is a completely different topic that has zero to do with initial question)

Last edited:
some insects, maybe....

I'm fairly sure in digital photography underexposing and rectifying in post is one of the best possible ways to degrade your image quality. It seems to me you are contradicting yourself by your own very question. You ask when 1/4000 isn't fast enough yet talk about underexposing when you can't get a speed fast enough. Maybe I am misunderstanding you

This topic is purely about shutter speeds and doing anything and everything to get the speed you need. If there are strong shadows then i will only go down one stop, if there are soft shadows i will push to two stops, and if there are nearly no shadows, i will push it to tree stops underexposed.

You do what you need to do. I find your threads go kind of tangental and don't always make sense to me so I think I'll bow out now. Ciao

You do what you need to do. I find your threads go kind of tangental and don't always make sense to me so I think I'll bow out now. Ciao

It could the the language barrier, i don't always understand what you are saying.

Most reactions

Back