Shuttle launch lens

mking7

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am going to the Kennedy Space Center for the shuttle launch on November 1st. I have a canon 50d with the 28-135 kit lens. Seems like this is a good excuse to add a lens to the stable. Suggestions?

Oh. Budget is 1500ish.

Last edited:
I would love to be able to shoot a shuttle launch! I would want something with as long of reach as possible. I only know the older cheapy lenses, because that's what I buy. But something like a 70-300mm would be good, though they tend not to be as sharp and sub 200mm lenses.

Sorry. I know that didn't help much.

Buy whatever lens you think you need for your normal photography. Rent a lens for the shuttle launch. Just my $.02

Very cool! I tried to buy tickets but wasnt able to. I think you should get a used 70-200 F2.8 IS. Its a great lens. They are usually around $1400. I guess it really depends on where you are going to watch from. I believe the causway is like 6 to 7 miles from the launch site so maybe something like a 300 F4 or a 100-400L depending on where you are at.

Thanks guys. I didn't get causeway tickets. They went quick but I got visitor complex tickets for me an my 8yr old. Really looking forward to it. Hadn't thought of renting but going to check into that.

man get a damn telescope and u can photograph the astronauts inside the shuttle waving at you :lmao:

I agree with renting a lens or two. If it was me I would be looking at the Canon 800 or 600. Keep in mind you are still going to be miles away from the launch pad.

What is this, the second to last launch? Not going to get many more opportunities. I have always wanted to witness a launch, congratulations!

Have fun!

Travis

I agree with renting a lens or two. If it was me I would be looking at the Canon 800 or 600. Keep in mind you are still going to be miles away from the launch pad.

What is this, the second to last launch? Not going to get many more opportunities. I have always wanted to witness a launch, congratulations!

Have fun!

Travis

I believe this might actually be the final launch, if I'm not mistaken.

To OP: Definitely rent a lens. For $1500 you're not going to get a lens able to get any kind of detail at the distance you'll be (except the overall landscape once it's up in the sky to capture the trail and everything)...but you could definitely rent a 600mm+ lens for a day or 2 and get some good shots, then switch to a wider-range lens to get a landscape shot or 10.

Have fun!

Travis

I believe this might actually be the final launch, if I'm not mistaken.

QUOTE]

Last for Discovery, but second to last STS launch.

I found a decent sight for you to look into for information:Launch Viewing: Where & How to Watch, View and See Space Shuttle Launches

Be sure to check the bottom of the page for the pictures. It will give you an idea of the viewing you can expect.

Man, I am envious!

Travis

well i would say 300-500 would be good. depending where you are going to be at. this is 75mm off us1 (2 miles away)
4609518094_2387e460a8_b.jpg

this is 300mm (blurry i know) but for an idea on what mm to go with.
5039269597_355444f772_b.jpg

This is the second to last launch. There's one more after this one.

just wanted to add that i cropped a little on those shots. just to thin them. it didnt enlarge tho picture at all. You might want to concider a large range telephoto or multiple cameras if possable. It happens very fast and is over very fast! NO TIME TO CHANGE A LENS! the 300mm shot was about 2 seconds after i saw smoke. the 75mm was within 10 sec. it takes me 15sec to change a lens.
the pros use around 6-10 cameras

Most reactions

Back