sigh....okay another senior shot c&C please

CorrieMichael

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I swear I will get this one day....but here is another senior/grad shot for you to tear apart! :) need some good c&C please
$IMG_3407washdpilogo.jpg

another from this set
$IMG_3398washdpibwlogo.jpg

Sigh... Every time I see someone leaning against a wall like that I'm thinking he/she is being patted down by a cop. lol

That being said.. I like the lighting and the coloring. :)

Sigh... Every time I see someone leaning against a wall like that I'm thinking he/she is being patted down by a cop. lol

oy I can't seem to get this damn senior/grad thing right.....how about this one?
$IMG_3382washdplogo.jpg

That last one is the best I've seen but I'm not sure I love the horizontal frame. I'd like to see it portrait orientation and a little more torso in the shot maybe.

oy I can't seem to get this damn senior/grad thing right.....how about this one?
View attachment 55715

This one is better. However, I think cropping vertical is a great idea (and if you don't want to do that, for whatever reason, try cropping up higher so your not cropping across the elbow). Also, her eyes are really dark. The way you have exposed her face (flirting with overexposure) has her blending in with the white/light-ish wall behind her.

Here is a quick edit. I burned the background a bit and lightened up the eyes slightly. Not too much because it started bringing out a lot of red. And really, to look natural, its best to shoot it the right way the first time (not being pretentious, I've just never been able to fix dark eyes so they look naturally bright in my editing software). I also cropped vertically (obviously) lol.
$1.jpg

I guess we just don't understand why she likes the wall so much.

Shot #3 would be better if in vertical format and without the background plant competing for attention.

Couple things.

She's got a big nose. I'd use the longest lens I had on her.

First shot, the nose stud is just peeking out, and it looks like some crud got on the picture. There are probably other frames where she's turned more toward or away from the camera, so we either don't see it, or it's clear what it is. Either way is fine.

Otherwise I think these are quite nice. Nice soft approach to color and light, very flattering. She looks relaxed and happy. Well done.

Tutorial: Facial Analysis In Fine Portraiture

The Nose

Rhinoplste (the medical term for nose-job) is probably the most popular form if elective plastic surgery today. That indicates, to me, that people will go through the pain and suffering and pay the big bucks to alter the appearance of their noses. Being the most prominent feature of the face a lot of folks have issues with the size, length, roundness, angle of slope, wideness, thinness, nostril size and shape and angularity or lack thereof of there noses. It's hard to believe that so much cosmetic attention is given to an organ that is essentially designed for smelling and sniffing in air. A lifetime of being on the receiving end of derogatory name calling like schnozzle, beak, hook nose, Pinocchio, and being compared to Serrano Dievergeiak can drive anyone to the plastic surgeon. The folks who can't afford surgery or don't think it is that important, come to see a photographer for a portrait for a special occasion or gift and want al least a little “plastic surgery” done on their portraits to minimize or at least no worsen the appearance of their nose. The first thing hat comes to mind is to make full face portraits only - no 2/3 or profiles, but that is not necessarily true in all cases. If the nose is very long, that is, it seems to come very close to or seeming to intersect with the upper lip, a full face view from a slightly lower camera position will minimize that problem. If the nose is not too angular, a 2/3 face might be nice at that lower camera angle. Modified butterfly lighting works well. If the nose is very short a normal to slightly higher angle will be better because it tends to minimize the space between the tip of the nose and the upper lip. Short noses will tolerate a wide range of lightings even a kicker, or the so called angles touch lighting. All angles including profiles are doable

RACIAL ATTRIBUTES

African Americans and Oriental people might have wide or very flat noses. These are not defects and it is up to the photographer to make a flattering photograph of all people as they are. With flatter noses lighting should be “sharper” to better define the features of the face. The use of parabolic (metal) reflectors rather than light modifiers should be used-they really separate the planes of the face better and with feathering can yield excellent textures. In the case of oriental people profiles don't usually work the planes of the face are fairly flat, while frontal views can render the face as very round. I find that 2/3 face with modified butterfly lighting shapes the face very nicely in that this combination brings out the high cheek bones. Adding a kicker light, carefully placed, can put a lovely rim light on the contour of the cheek and better define the nose. For a more dramatic effect, wider noses take nicely to Rembrandt andsplit lighting

ANGULAR NOSES

Angular noses are very interesting in portrait studies, in the commercial end of the portrait business however, clients will usually opt for poses that do not feature their nose. Full face and 2/3 face images from normal to slightly lower camera heights will fill the bill. Dramatic portraits of men with angular noses do well at print competition judges but when it comes to bread and butter portraiture, the client is the ultimate judge - shoot from various angles and see what goes over well with your client - the rejects might yield a great salon print

BULBOUS NOSES

Split or Rembrandt lighting helps. Print retouching to remove multiple or even a single highlight from the very tip of the nose will take some of the roundness away.

BROKEN NOSES

Noses that have been broken will sometimes heal in such a way that the nose takes on a slightly twisted look or an irregular curvature. Place the main light on each side of the face and see which direction looks better. Oftentimes the curved appearance will disappear when you discover the right lighting. Full face and 2/3 views can both work with this method of lighting.

The last one is definitely my favorite. In the first ones, it almost looks like she's about to be read her miranda rights.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back