/sigh ... really noob with cameras...

Also worth noting that a camera shop will be more accomodating than Best Buy. At least the ones around here will let you play with whatever you want including test snaps with various lenses they have in stock.

Your mileage may vary though depending on area.

I agree with adversus. I'm very new also and I went into the camera shop, tried out a Canon 30D,40D,50D and t2i. I also tried out a Nikon D5000 and a D200. I did a great deal of research on all of these and printed out stats / comparisons and took them with me. Ultimately the D200 fit my wants and budget more closely than any of the others so I went with that. Then I tried a dozen different lenses with it and chose the ones I liked best.

So in short, a recommendation from another newbie... do a lot of research, and buy at a local camera shop. This will allow you to test out the lenses before you buy them, you also have the return policy if you decide you don't like the lens after a few days. The local shop I went to said if for any reason I don't like the lens I have 10 days to bring any of them back for full refund or swap or whatever. Being a newbie this was invaluable to me, as it eliminates the hassle of returning (if you can) online.

Of course YMMV, this is just the opinion of one man ;)

Good luck!

I also second adversus idea.

Some camera shops will also rent cameras/lenses. If you have one near by spend a few days renting a different one each day and give them a road test.

Get a used D90. You can grow into the D90. You will soon find yourself growing out of a D3100 or D5000.

I know I sure as hell did.

I'm looking to buy my first not-point-and-shoot camera. I'm a (uber) beginner to photography, but would like a camera i can grow into, but not necessarily get professional with. I intend to use this camera for normal everyday photos (of the wife, truck, random stuff, etc...) but I also would really like to start doing aircraft photography at airports. I understand this will probably require me to have two separate lenses that I'll swap between depending on what I'm shooting at the time, but other than that I am lost.

So far I've been looking at the Cannon Eos Rebel T1i EF-S that comes with the 18-55mm lens, and the Nikon D3100 that comes with the same lens. I'd like to stay in that price range ($900 or cheaper for body and both lenses I'll need).

If anyone has ANY advice on this, it would be greatly appreciated as I don't have cash to just fling at a camera, and would like to get a camera that will be multipurpose and take great pictures with the money that I have saved up.

Thanks for any advice at all!

-Aaron

(Btw...this is my first topic and first post ever on this forum so..... HI! I'm Aaron, from Jacksonville, FL. I'm in the Navy and that takes most of my time, but I'm hoping photography can start to take up some of the time I have to myself :D)

Maybe you should start with a "bridge" camera aka "super zoom".
These are the cameras that are in between P+S and outright "pro" rigs, hence the name "bridge". Most of these bridge cameras have generous zooms on them too, starting usually from 10x and going up to 35x. They also won't leave you broke because most of the models out there stay below the $400 mark.

And I wouldn't go to a regular camera store either-I'd go to Costco and see what they have available so the choices aren't so overwhelming. This is how I shopped my first digital and it was fairly easy because there wasn't some salesman breathing down my neck trying to crack a sale. I bought what I bought and worked with it and , in the end, came to the conclusion that I didn't do too bad.

BUT, you don't have to do this alone! Don't you have at least ONE friend who is a camera fiend who could help you out on that same trip to Costco?

I know where you're coming from because for years, I shot film but Digital is a whole 'nother ball of wax completely.But once I got past the mystery, I found out that it wasn't as "mysterious" as I thought it was!

The same will happen for you...

lol @ "non-point-and-shoot". It's called a Single Reflex Lens or "SLR" unless what you want is a mirrorless...

I would get a Nikon D700 If you want full frame. If you want cropped try a D300 good camera!

Well good luck!!!

Most reactions

Back