Sigma 10-20mm vs. Tokina 12-24 (or other?)

I realize they'll be softness at the edges regardless, but does the Tokina do a better job of minimizing this? When looking at real world pictures though, you're right, the softness isn't as noticeable.
I also had questions about the Sigmas "feel." Some describe it as light and cheap. Do you feel it is well built and will last a good long time? Not like the 50mm build... I take good care of my stuff too, but I like for something to feel solid and well built.

Great shots BTW. I miss Europe. I wish I could go back now with my photographic knowledge.

I've never held the Tokina, but I don't have a problem with the build quality of the Sigma. Truthfully, it's the heaviest lense (from feel, never weighed it) in my bag and I have a 35 1.8 and 18-270 Tamron.

I realize they'll be softness at the edges regardless, but does the Tokina do a better job of minimizing this? When looking at real world pictures though, you're right, the softness isn't as noticeable.
I also had questions about the Sigmas "feel." Some describe it as light and cheap. Do you feel it is well built and will last a good long time? Not like the 50mm build... I take good care of my stuff too, but I like for something to feel solid and well built.

Great shots BTW. I miss Europe. I wish I could go back now with my photographic knowledge.

I've never held the Tokina, but I don't have a problem with the build quality of the Sigma. Truthfully, it's the heaviest lense (from feel, never weighed it) in my bag and I have a 35 1.8 and 18-270 Tamron.

Tokina is heavier (1.19 lbs ) compared to the Sigma's 1.14:lol: Just kidding

Tokina is heavier (1.19 lbs ) compared to the Sigma's 1.14:lol: Just kidding

That's a deal breaker right there.

Yeah, if I had the cash (Wife had a budget for my xmas present), I would have gone after the Tokina 11-16 b/c of the rave reviews it gets. BUT, can't say I'm unsatisfied with my purchase though. Like Vtec above, I shoot f/8 as much as possible too, no need for shallow dof on a wide angle imo, so it doesn't bother me much :)

True there is really no need for f2.8 if your intention is for landscape photography. but if you like to take pictures of people the f2.8 might be good to have. More artsy. and i know a lot of people that use the tokina 11-16. not even one of them has ever had a bad thing to say about it.

but the sigma is really good too. never heard any complaints about it either.

Yeah, if I had the cash (Wife had a budget for my xmas present), I would have gone after the Tokina 11-16 b/c of the rave reviews it gets. BUT, can't say I'm unsatisfied with my purchase though. Like Vtec above, I shoot f/8 as much as possible too, no need for shallow dof on a wide angle imo, so it doesn't bother me much :)

True there is really no need for f2.8 if your intention is for landscape photography. but if you like to take pictures of people the f2.8 might be good to have. More artsy. and i know a lot of people that use the tokina 11-16. not even one of them has ever had a bad thing to say about it.

but the sigma is really good too. never heard any complaints about it either.

at 11mm focused to 2.4m you have 1.16 to infinity in focus... pretty sure there has been more than one circumstance when a couple of extra stops can help get a shot handholdable at acceptable ISOs.

Sorry to bump this, BUT

I bought a Sigma 10-20mm today!
This lens cost more than my camera did when I bought it! :lmao:

I got tired of weighing the positives and negatives of the two and just picked.

So I've got one last question. Those of you who have used the Sigma 10-20, do you use slim mount filters or can you get away with regular ones? How bad is the vignetting?
I'm getting a CPL for my birthday so I need to tell people which one to get me!

I have a D5100 and was researching like mad.....drove me nuts for a while actually. I decided on getting the Sigma 10-20mm - and will do so this weekend! :) Woo Hoo!!!!

I was comparing to:
- Tokina 11-16mm - Apparently has the best reviews of the bunch, BUT no autofocus and shorter zoom length.
- Nikon 10-24mm - It's $900 (FAIL). Couldn't justify price, build is "plasticky" and the reviews were on par with the Sigma.

Sigma wins for me because:
- Price ($430.00 - ish)
- Sharpness and CA reviews aren't bad at all (not the best, but still darn good)
- Build is solid
- Autofocuses

go to Digital Cameras: Digital Photography Review, News, Reviews, Forums, FAQ - my fave review site and you can make direct comparisons too.

Get the Marumi UV Filter btw. Great price and the filter is sick. Happy shooting and post some pics!

If you want wide angle just for the vacation you could use your 18-55mm and take several shots (up, down and across) and combine them in software...

Sorry to bump this, BUT

I bought a Sigma 10-20mm today!
This lens cost more than my camera did when I bought it! :lmao:

I got tired of weighing the positives and negatives of the two and just picked.

i just got my sigma 10-20mm on Saturday and since then i haven't put it down, great little lens, enjoy it, brilliant for getting landscapes in :)

URGENT QUESTION. Please

I have canon eos 550d and I wanted to buy either the:

1) sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 lens
Or
2) canon 10-22mm f4

My question : which lens will mount on the eos 550d?
And which lens is better?

Thanks

Both will fit on your Canon. How much are you willing to spend will be your next question lol.

Most reactions

Back