Sigma 10-20mm vs. Tokina 12-24 (or other?)

lyonsroar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So long story short I'm going to the mountains on vacation in July and I want to get some really good photos. All I've got at my disposal currently is the 50mm f1.8, the 18-55mm, and the 75-300mm. I'm wanting a wide angle for the mountains/ landscapes. My problem is that I live in the plains (Omaha) and I'm concerned that the wide angle I purchase won't have any use once I get back from vacation.

I want to buy a new lens, not really interested in renting at this point. I've gone on long enough being cheap. I've decided that this photography thing will be a long term commitment, so I'm ready to start spending some serious money.

I primarily shoot automotive in town. So I guess my question is: how applicable ins a W/A for automotive shooting? I'm thinking it would be pretty good, but... I haven't used one. Searching FlickR for "wide-angle automotive" yields some interesting stuff.

Then my other question is which is the better lens, the Sigma 10-20mm or the Tokina 12-24? The Sigma is wider, but the Tokina has the constant f4 aperture which could prove useful. The Sigma is cheaper ($480,) but the Tokina ($550) seems to be built better according to reviewers.

Any opinions from people who have used both? Or one of them?

A wide angle will have more use afterwards than a fisheye imo, so I don't think an UWA is a bad purchase. Ever since I got my 10-20, I hardly change lenses (could be a bad thing, but I LOVE this lense). I used it a TON on my euro vacation for two weeks.

From the reviews I have read online, Tokina is suppose to be a better lens. I have a Tamron 10-24mm, which is on par with the sigma. The edge of the Sigma and Tamron lenses will be very soft at wide open. I typically shoot my Tamron at f/8 or above. I'd get the Tokina if I have the money.

As far as using wide angle lens, it can be fun with perspective exaggeration. Get close, real close! You gotta watch for things that get into your composition though, especially when your view finder is not 100%.

Yeah, if I had the cash (Wife had a budget for my xmas present), I would have gone after the Tokina 11-16 b/c of the rave reviews it gets. BUT, can't say I'm unsatisfied with my purchase though. Like Vtec above, I shoot f/8 as much as possible too, no need for shallow dof on a wide angle imo, so it doesn't bother me much :)

Ahem... 11-16 f2.8

its worth every penny

Yeah, if I had the cash (Wife had a budget for my xmas present), I would have gone after the Tokina 11-16 b/c of the rave reviews it gets. BUT, can't say I'm unsatisfied with my purchase though. Like Vtec above, I shoot f/8 as much as possible too, no need for shallow dof on a wide angle imo, so it doesn't bother me much :)

What is your experience with edge softness with the Sigma?

Ahem... 11-16 f2.8

its worth every penny

I went with the Canon 10-22mm. I love that lens.

Unfortunately these two are not in the budget at this time. $550 is already the very top end.

I would go with the Tokina, I used to own it. I now have the canon 10-22 which is great, but I don't think you will miss the extra 2mm when back at home. The Tokina is also well built. Very solid. Although if you want to have the widest range available without overlapping focal lengths on your 18-55 as much, go with the Sigma.

Something you're going to have to realize is that a lense as wide as 10mm, you're always going to see "softness" at the edges. As far as softness all around, I don't have any real issues with it, especially at f/8. Just a tad sharpening in post (or not) and you'll be golden.

Example shots of Sigma at 10mm (which is all I shoot on mostly)
5729273158_60deab5d91_b.jpg

5362079269_2874614ec8_b.jpg

5834879018_33da87b189_b.jpg

5834320849_cd1083d2e9_b.jpg

I would go with the Tokina, I used to own it. I now have the canon 10-22 which is great, but I don't think you will miss the extra 2mm when back at home. The Tokina is also well built. Very solid. Although if you want to have the widest range available without overlapping focal lengths on your 18-55 as much, go with the Sigma.

That's what I was thinking. When I get back home and am back shooting my automotive stuff am I going to miss that 2mm? I really don't think so...
I still think I'm leaning towards the Tokina.

Something you're going to have to realize is that a lense as wide as 10mm, you're always going to see "softness" at the edges. As far as softness all around, I don't have any real issues with it, especially at f/8. Just a tad sharpening in post (or not) and you'll be golden.

Example shots of Sigma at 10mm (which is all I shoot on mostly)

I realize they'll be softness at the edges regardless, but does the Tokina do a better job of minimizing this? When looking at real world pictures though, you're right, the softness isn't as noticeable.
I also had questions about the Sigmas "feel." Some describe it as light and cheap. Do you feel it is well built and will last a good long time? Not like the 50mm build... I take good care of my stuff too, but I like for something to feel solid and well built.

Great shots BTW. I miss Europe. I wish I could go back now with my photographic knowledge.

You might find this comparative review here of help, it compares the Tamron 10-24, Sigma 10-20 f/3.5, Sigma 10-20, Canon 10-22 and Tokina 11-16

Juza Nature Photography

Granted I know some are more than your budget, but it gives you an idea of their performances against each other in the market.

You might find this comparative review here of help, it compares the Tamron 10-24, Sigma 10-20 f/3.5, Sigma 10-20, Canon 10-22 and Tokina 11-16

Juza Nature Photography

Granted I know some are more than your budget, but it gives you an idea of their performances against each other in the market.

GREAT link!

It seems the Sigma might be the way to go. IF I go with the Sigma, the price is right so I could get a Tiffen CPL ($60) with it as well which may prove useful, especially when shooting cars like I often do.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back