Sigma 17-70mm 2.8 -Anyone Own it?

I don't have a canon so I don't know if this applies but generally the range is 2.8 @ 17 and 4.5 @ 70. I would try to look at a lens that is 2.8 constant.

I'm a little nervous that several people complain about its not 2.8 at all lengths. Are the Canon lens 2.8 top to bottom?
Some lenses are and some aren't...brand has nothing to do with it. It's better if it is...but those lenses tend to cost more and are bigger and heavier.

I would recommend looking at the Sigma 18-50 F2.8 and the Tamron 17-50 F2.8. You would give up some length, compared to that lens, but you get a full F2.8 at all focal lengths.

Thanks, I'm checking these out now.

Tamron is $430
Sigma is is $419

So they cost the same, Anyone know which is better?

So they cost the same, Anyone know which is better?
I was debating between the two, about a year ago. At that time, the reviews that I read, mostly said that they were very close in all aspects...with maybe a slight edge to the Tamron. So I went with the Tamron.

However, Sigma was releasing a new version of their 18-50 F2.8 'Macro'...and it was hard to tell if the reviews were for the new version or the old. The new version might be slightly better than the Tamron...but really, it's a toss up anyway.

Maybe go into a store and hold them both, get the one that feels better.

Thanks Mike.

By chance do you have a link to the new Sigma Lens?

NEW

OLD

I guess the difference is the addition of an HSM focus motor...and maybe something else (I didn't read all the details).

Thanks Mike!

I noticed the other post with this lens
tamron 28-75 f/2.8

Which would you go with? It looks like that has more length and 2.8 at both ends.

I noticed the other post with this lens
tamron 28-75 f/2.8

Which would you go with? It looks like that has more length and 2.8 at both ends.
The ones I linked to, are F2.8 at both ends as well.

Sigma has a 24-70 F2.8, and as you have seen, Tamron has a 28-75 F2.8...both with constant F2.8. They are fine lenses...and yes, obviously longer than the 17-50mm range. However, I find that 24mm just isn't wide enough when using a crop body (any of the digital Rebels or 10,20,30,40D).

I have the Sigma 24-70 F2.8 Going on 5 years now. Not my work horse lens but still use it enough to know it's a Great lens! I shoot Canon.

I saw in two different sites the review of this lens, it has good review. One was provided with pictures taken by the user as soon as he bought it, great pictures they are. Also he showed the macro pictures requested by other readers, also great macro pictures. From practical point of view it is worth the money. But I can't remember where the site was.

Oh btw I ask the same question with no answer back then:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110281&highlight=Sigma+17-70+HSM

I'm thinking about getting the 18-50 2.8 for Pentax when I get the K100 (waiting for the eventual markdown :mrgreen:).

I'm thinking about getting the 18-50 2.8 for Pentax when I get the K100 (waiting for the eventual markdown :mrgreen:).

Tamron announced that the 17-50 f2.8 lens will be available for Pentax after 7 th March which is a lens that takes very good reviews. Sigma 18-50 is also ok but as my opinion wait for the Tamron which seems to be better choice (expecially its sharpness is very good).
I have got a :hail: Tamron 28-75mm F2.8

Most reactions

New Topics

Back