Sigma 18-50mm 2.8

murph1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I recently purchased a Sigma 24-70mm 2.8 but know that I need something with a wider angle for weddings. I really want the Canon 17-55mm 2.8 but really cannot afford it right now - would the Sigma 18-50mm be comparable? I don't want to waste money on a lens that wouldn't even compare to the Canon.

Thanks!!

tamron 17-50 ... 450 bhphotovideo.com

Tamron 17-50 f2.8 would be a great lens. Very happy with mine.

Funny that you make a thread about this. I've been wondering if something like a Sigma 24-70 f2.8 would be more fitting for me as I rarely shoot at 17mm range. I'm shooting a wedding next month and plan to do one of those scans to see my average focal length for the wedding. If it shows me rarely shooting under 24mm then I might consider getting rid of my tamron for a sigma 24-70.

For the Sigma version. from what I read, the newer version is better than the old one.

Sigma - Lenses

The new one is a HSM lens

I have the Tamron version. And it is pretty good as well.

Hmm, sounds like a good trade.

yea i agree.
clear.gif

I have the Sigma 18-50 for Nikon. Very good lens.

if you have the HSM sigma 18-50 lens, its differant from the canon version. and better. for canon. from what i read. tamron 17-50 is better

From what I read the Tamron still trumps the Sigma. To me it doesn't matter if the Sigma has HSM. The Tamron isn't even noisy in the first place.

All tests and figures I've seen (and from my personal experience) the Tamron yields consistently better results.

Thanks everyone!!! Looks like I will definitely go with the Tamron 17-50 f2.8!!!

Hmm, sounds like a good trade.

It would be a great trade, but I'm planning on keeping the Sigma for another Canon I have (trying to get my husband into photography too!!)

From what I read the Tamron still trumps the Sigma. To me it doesn't matter if the Sigma has HSM. The Tamron isn't even noisy in the first place.

All tests and figures I've seen (and from my personal experience) the Tamron yields consistently better results.

there are 3 versions of the sigma. the one with the hsm had better glass, not just hsm. just ask all the other nikon fanatics lol buti dont think they make the hsm for canon. so im getting the tammy

Thanks, this thread just helped me decide as well! However, I'm uber broke, so I just rented the Tamron for 10 days :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back