Sigma 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Wide Angle-Telephoto DG Macro Autofocus Zoom Lens for Nikon

JenKat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking to get my first dslr camera soon (I've pretty much decided on a Nikon D200).

I've been looking at which lenses would be a great "all-purpose" starter lens to get while I get comfortable with the new camera.

I found a Sigma 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Wide Angle-Telephoto DG Macro Autofocus Zoom Lens on Amazon for like $170.

Since have been mainly looking at Nikkor lenses, I do notknow as much about the Tamron and Sigma brands (yet!).

Would something such as this 28-300mm be a good lens, or should I just start with a more "kit lens" type? (18-55mm, 18-70mm, or 18-200mm)

Thanks. I was just wondering if anyone had used a lens like this...

I've been looking into a Nikkor 18-55mm and 55-200mm lenses to start with, and came across this Sigma.

Sigma, like Canon and Nikon, makes lenses that range from outstanding down to cheap consumer fodder. Price can tell you a lot. For instance, Canon and Nikons super zoom offerings (18-200mm) are in the $600-$800 price range. Do some research on super zooms, and you'll find that they all suffer the same limitations ( lots of CA, barrel distortion, sharper at one end than the other). You would probably be better off avoiding this particular Sigma. Plus, at 300mm, f 6.3 is very slow. If budget doesn't allow several hundred dollars for a "do all" general purpose lens, go with the 18-55 VR kit lens. I do own the Canon 18-200 IS, and it's not a bad lens, but it's also several times the cost of this Sigma. My Sigma 30mm 1.4 and 50mm 1.4, OTOH, are brilliant lenses, but pricey.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back