What's new

Sigma 50mm 1.4, worth it?

Bakko

TPF Noob!
Joined
May 30, 2009
Messages
49
Reaction score
0
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently bought my beautifully amazing Canon 85mm 1.8 and I absolutely love it.
I recently read a few articles praising the Sigma 50mm 1.4 and I was wondering if it would make a good addition to my bag if I already have the Canon 85mm.

What is your guys' take?
 
Alittle off topic but how does the AF perfrom on the sigma 50 vs the sigma 30. I have a sigma 30 and I love the images it produces but the focus is a problem.
 
I've got the Sigma 30 as well, but I've never had focus issues with it. I've never had focus issues with the 50 either. So if you're talking AF reliability, I can't answer. Mine are fine. Have you thought about sending it out for calibration?
 
The results he gets in this video is pretty much the same as I'm getting.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
It also looks like it has better glass than the Nikon 50mm 1.4...
 
The Sigma lens is tremendous. with a 3 or 4 year warranty against parts or failure. Its around 500$ depending on if you can get it on sale.
Its a beautiful lens and is mostly my walk around lens.

Well, worth EVERY penny. PERIOD.

I also have the Canon 85MM and the Canon 50MM II 1.8 (this is a fun lens, but does NOTHING compared to the Sigma)
 
Any testimonials/advice/opinions on a comparison between the Sigma 50mm 1.4 and the Canon 50mm 1.4? I've heard that the Canon is older, slower, and due for a replacement, and the Sigma has a beefier, solid build. I'd also like to get a lens hood for the Sigma if I do pick it up, anyone feel like dropping a helpful link?

Sorry for the threadjack OP, didn't want to clutter things up with a new thread.

OT: If I had the funds, I'd try to keep at least 3 primes: 100-150mm, 50, and 30. I'd personally not prioritize the 85, but since you already have it, cool. Not speaking with a lot of personal experience here, but if your budget affords it, I'd definitely get a 50 1.4. As to the Canon or Sigma, see above.
 
Cheers Hatch, I was checking for a "what's in the box" tidbit on Amazon, but didn't find anything. Thanks for the B&H links, good to know it comes with a hood standard.
 
Here's a pretty nice video comparing the 2 lenses.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Cock Biscuits and Bokeh Balls. I love Digital Rev. Thanks for posting this Bakko.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom