What's new

Sigma 50mm 1.4

Hate to be the dissenting opinion regarding the Sigma 50mm, but I have gone through two copies of this lens and I was not impressed. I will give the Sigma credit, the bokeh was nice but overall I felt my images were incredibly soft, and even after making adjustments I still felt the images were soft (I shoot a D700). I took the Sigma on a recent trip to WDW, and I wound up discarding a large number of pictures taken with this lens. In fact, once I returned home from my trip I sold the Sigma 50mm. Now the Sigma 85mm ....that's a different story altogether. Optically I feel the 85mm is superior to the 50mm.

Just my opinion....

It has to be a bad copy, as this is not the case with my Sigma 50 1.4. The 85 mm maybe slighty better, but it is not optically superior.

I'm glad you like your copy, it's clear from your prior posts you really like this lens.

However, as I mentioned in my original post I went through two copies of this lens and was not impressed. My experiences do not invalidate your love of this lens, however, I was very disappointed with this lens.

Lastly we will have to agree to disagree about the 85mm versus the 50mm.
 
I own the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 and love it. Upgraded from a Canon 1.8 and never did have buyer's remorse :)
 
I have the 85mm, and it's great. The Nikon may be better, but not $1000 better. Ryan Brenizer is a wedding photographer and he lost his Nikon 85mm 1.4 G, (not the D, mind you). He replaced it with the Sigma 85 1.4 and actually likes it better.Review: Sigma 85mm f/1.4 » Ryan Brenizer — NYC Wedding Photographer. Problem solver, storyteller.Granted, this isn't about the 50 that the OP asked about, but since it had been brought up, I thought I'd share.
Liking something better, does not make it better. Walmart would have some pretty good stuff. I'm sure the store has a return policy, play with it for a few days and if you don't like the results return it for something else.
 
I have the 85mm, and it's great. The Nikon may be better, but not $1000 better. Ryan Brenizer is a wedding photographer and he lost his Nikon 85mm 1.4 G, (not the D, mind you). He replaced it with the Sigma 85 1.4 and actually likes it better.Review: Sigma 85mm f/1.4 » Ryan Brenizer — NYC Wedding Photographer. Problem solver, storyteller.Granted, this isn't about the 50 that the OP asked about, but since it had been brought up, I thought I'd share.
Liking something better, does not make it better. Walmart would have some pretty good stuff. I'm sure the store has a return policy, play with it for a few days and if you don't like the results return it for something else.

Errr Dosen't Moe state in his post that the 'Nikon may be better', I don't think he was trying to argue that the Sigma was better than the Nikon?
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom