Sigma 530 flash.

Sarah Elizabeth

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just got a Sigma 530 flash. I have a Canon 30D.

I am confused. I have been using natural light for almost a year and now I very confused about using Manual settings which I thought until now I had a pretty good grasp of. The flash has brought me back to square one.

I read the manual , searched forums, flickr, and now I am even more confused.

Does anyone know of and good literature about flash? I have been reading strobist but most of the things I read are in regards to off camera lighting. I understand what the flash does and how it makes a great picture but I am definitely missing something here.

I took this of my mate using the flash.
I have no idea how I got it to fire and the exposure was not at all right on on my light meter in the camera.
2963797204_e17a72fec8.jpg

Last edited:
The Sigma is a very good, third-party dedicated flash (Meaning it can take advantage of your cameras TTL metering). You don't mention whether this image was taken in manual, auto, or a semi-auto mode.

With a modern dedicated flash, you don't need to worry about too much for basic shots like this. Mount the flash, set your camera to 'P', 'Auto' or which ever, and shoot. Your camera's meter is only reading the ambient light, so it's rarely showing a 'correct' reading for flahs exposures. That's what the TTL (Through the lens) flash-metering is for. The flash is fired the camera reads the output and adjusts the exposure on the fly.

The reason the flash fired was because it was there. By default the camera sends the a trigger voltage to the flash when it's in place.

I hope someone else can help with links.

Thank you .

I appreciate your response. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back