Sigma 8-16 ??

Bad Andy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been saving for a wide angle lens for a while now. I was considering either the Tokina 12-24 or the Sigma 10-20. I now see that Sigma makes a 8-16. The reviews on that lens look pretty good.

Anyone on here have any experience with one? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

-Andy

I'm itching to get my hands on one to try. I use a Sigma 10-20 and absolutely love it, but those extra 2 mm could be a lot of fun. One downside is that you can't use any filters with it, but CP filters act wierd on an UWA lens anyway. Here's a review:

Juza Nature Photography

Thank you Ian. I was thinking about the filter issue, but have also heard that CPL don't like the super wide-angles. It looks like the hood will do a good job of protecting the front element from damage, etc.

I would just be excited to try a 121 degree wide angle lens. I can think of alot of possibilities, and have a few trips to different places coming up, with lots of photo ideas.

-Andy

The filters thing extends also to the filter holder setups as well -- unless you customise the holder to fit the lens you can't even use ND or ND grad filters in a filter holder either. However it seems that Lee are making an ultra wide mount (for 150*150 filters) for these new wide angle lenses - it fits the nikon 12-24mm at the moment but htey have plans to make mounts for other lenses (I expect the 8-16mm will be on the watch list)

The Takina is among my favorite lens in it's class, I find it better than Canon Tamron or the sigma choices. Though I have not tried the 8-16 yet. I have to admit, it would be fun to try it out. Might have to look into it

Update, well I finally decided, and I went with the Sigma 8-16. It arrived today from B&H. The following pics are my first test photos. It was dark by the time I got home, and I didn't grab my tripod. All these are straight-out-of-the-camera, and all hand-held. I can't wait to spend more time with this lens. I think it will be on my camera for a while. I love it so far.

1.)
SanPedro611.jpg

2.)
SanPedro612.jpg

3.)
SanPedro615.jpg

4.)
SanPedro617.jpg

5.)
SanPedro618.jpg

6.)
SanPedro620.jpg

7.)
SanPedro621.jpg

Thank's for looking.

-Andy

That lens looks like it has great potential! Looking forward to more images! #6 is really cool.

Continuing our way through the bag of goodies Sigma, we arrive at the widest angle rectilinear done for digital SLR cameras APS-C, in the form of 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM. Essentially the equivalent of 12-24mm lens of the company for full-frame, that has a wide angle disorientatingly of view of 121 degrees for exaggerated perspectives. It has a petal-shaped hood, HSM with manual focus full-time, and a focusing distance of 24cm

Most reactions

Back