Sigma Canada WTF?

JE Kay

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.bustedlunchbox.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been looking for the 50mm f/1.4. Here it's $699.00 average. B&H sells it for $475.00.

So I started looking at other prices..... I think I've bought my last lens in this country. :thumbdown:

I know there's a swing in the US, it's just been a while since I did any price shopping on lenses.

If you think it's bad in Canada, go to Europe and try to buy anything camera related. You're paying similar to the Canadian prices, but in pounds.

I shop around...and often buy from B&H (in NYC).

Have you tried Welcome

I shop around...and often buy from B&H (in NYC).

Have you tried Welcome
*pokes* You should buy from me :p You know, cause I'm such a nice guy *chuckle*

The last thing I bought from the states, ended up costing me more than if I'd bought it in Canada, the duty was way higher than I anticipated. I don't know if there is duty on lenses, but on camera bodies, god it's awful.

Ya just ticks me off.... I know someone that goes to NY and shoots some stuff for some every year. They always buy something, lens, flashes...etc. They just use it, throw it in their bag and that's that.
Something about if you use the item while your in the US you don't have to declare it? Sound right? I don't know.
Not sure if I'd do that, but he's been doing it for like 20 years now....:thumbup:

Ya just ticks me off.... I know someone that goes to NY and shoots some stuff for some every year. They always buy something, lens, flashes...etc. They just use it, throw it in their bag and that's that.
Something about if you use the item while your in the US you don't have to declare it? Sound right? I don't know.
Not sure if I'd do that, but he's been doing it for like 20 years now....:thumbup:
No, I believe it's more if you don't get caught. You have to dispose of the box, or ship it back to yourself. It can't look like you just bought it. It's still possible for that to backfire on you, sometimes customs will ask to see a copy of all your receipts if you have a lot of gear. I've had to print off receipts for quite a few of our pro customers, and even some hobbyists with a lot of gear.

I heard a pro talking about a new "passport like" thing the other day, that's for photographers specificly, shows a list of all your gear, etc. It costs 750 bucks to get it or something like that though.

The last thing I bought from the states, ended up costing me more than if I'd bought it in Canada, the duty was way higher than I anticipated. I don't know if there is duty on lenses, but on camera bodies, god it's awful.
There is no 'duty' on photography gear. You can sometimes get stuck with 'brokerage' fees, which can be quite a bit, especially on ground shipments. So yes, you do need to weigh the costs of shipping etc, when comparing prices. I've been using UPS Expedited...which is a fast shipping option and does not have any extra brokerage fees.

When I bought my 10-22mm lens, I got it for $680 US from B&H...the price at Vistek & McBain was $1090.

If something comes close to the price of buying it in Canada, I will choose buying it locally. I do usually check out The Camera Store's web site...but sorry Dean, I use that price and have McBain price match. One of my hockey buddies works there, and also Sean's wife.

There is no 'duty' on photography gear. You can sometimes get stuck with 'brokerage' fees, which can be quite a bit, especially on ground shipments. So yes, you do need to weigh the costs of shipping etc, when comparing prices. I've been using UPS Expedited...which is a fast shipping option and does not have any extra brokerage fees.

When I bought my 10-22mm lens, I got it for $680 US from B&H...the price at Vistek & McBain was $1090.

If something comes close to the price of buying it in Canada, I will choose buying it locally. I do usually check out The Camera Store's web site...but sorry Dean, I use that price and have McBain price match. One of my hockey buddies works there, and also Sean's wife.
Yeah yeah, I was teasin' anyway :D

I'd have to dig up the receipt I have from buying my Rebel XT from Adorama, I got charged an extra 89 bucks, for a refurbed camera, it was more than 1/5th the cost of the thing.

I always do the exercise of looking what the price in Canada is and what it costs me to get it in the US. I live 30 miles from the border... I have yet to purchase anything in Canada in well over a year and that is including the 30% diff in US currancy conversion lately too. I have a couple of softboxes coming in the next 3-4 days. I just saved well over $175 by going for a 60 mile drive there and back, so it is worth it.

There has always been a price gap between Canadian and US photographic equipment.

Most of it has to do with the volume of purchase discounts, Canadian dollar and the costs of Distributors purchasing from the manufacturer (mostly Japanese).

There was some instances where we balanced out due, but there weren't too many of them.

One other thing to consider in this as well is that the Canadian Warranty is usually longer. I know Nikon has longer waranty on canadian goods than they do on US goods.

One other thing to consider in this as well is that the Canadian Warranty is usually longer. I know Nikon has longer waranty on canadian goods than they do on US goods.

Actually, correct me if I am wrong, but isn't your us warranty no good in Canada anyways?

Big Mike said:
There is no 'duty' on photography gear.

what about Canadian taxes? GST/PST(where applicable, obviously not in Alberta)

Yes, of course you have to pay your tax. Although there doesn't seem to be a set time or place to pay it. I believe the last shipment I got, UPS billed me for the cost of GST. I've had a couple smaller shipments come via the post office. Sometimes they require you to pay tax, sometimes not...but I'm guessing that the person at the counter just forgets or doesn't know.

Have you guys tried CameraCanada.com? They have some really decent prices and friendly staff. I got my filters there and they have a pretty large stock.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back