Sigma DP1 available in Spring 08

RKW3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This looks pretty sick. http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08013108sigmadp1.asp

sigma_DP1_Fr-001.jpg

"Sigma has announced the imminent availability of the greatly anticipated DP1 digital camera. The DP1 has a sensor around the size of those found in most DSLRs - although it is greatly different in terms of design - and aims to offer equivalent image-quality and specification in a compact format. In common with Sigma's DSLR offerings it utilizes Foveon's direct-image-sensor technology which detects three colors at each of its 4.6 million pixels (collecting the same amount of color data as a conventional 14 megapixel sensor)."

I am interested in checking this one out. Have not pulled teh trigger on a Canon G9 yet. I was not as impressed with it. I hope it lives up to the hype. The image quality and "shutter lag" are key for me. Might have to fly out to vegas and test it.

This is great news.

I almost pulled the trigger on a Ricoh GRD and the GRD II. But I waited, forever it seems, to see what this camera might offer.

Thanks for the post.

is it fixed focal length?

is it fixed focal length?

Yes, it is a fixed focal length equivalent to a 28mm lens on a 35mm camera.

I think the one thing that might put people off about the camera is the slow lens. It will have a maximum aperture of f/4. From what I understand, Sigma compromised on lens speed to keep the size of the camera down.

This camera was first announced back in September of 2006, for a release date in Feb. of 2007. Since then, there have been several release dates come and go, until finally Sigma put out a press release explaining they were having problems with the camera.

I held off on getting the Ricoh GRD because of slow write times in raw- up to 14 seconds for the camera to write a raw image. Then, when the GRD II came out, Ricoh addressed the problem with raw and it was fixed. I have been on the verge of getting the GRD II for a couple of months now, so I am really happy to hear this news. The Ricoh cameras are fine cameras, but I have always been put off by the small sensor.

I shot rangefinder cameras for over 30 years, and when I finally went completely digital a few years ago, I sold all my rangefinders. I was starting to have problems with my eyesight- I can focus manually, but it just takes me much longer than before, and in street shooting, that can be a problem at times. That is why when Leica announced the digital M8, I was not interested because of the manual focus on the camera.

I can live with the fixed focal length, because all I ever really plan to do with the camera is street shooting.

It will be interesting to see the test results when the camera is released. If everything checks out okay, I will probably let the dust settle a bit and buy one late this year, when hopefully the price will have dropped a bit.

Good thing it has a hot shoe, you can attach a real viewfinder.

I hope this does well. It would put pressure on Canon to release the G10 with an APS-C sensor.

Good thing it has a hot shoe, you can attach a real viewfinder.

I hope this does well. It would put pressure on Canon to release the G10 with an APS-C sensor.

I was wondering when you were going to chime in. ;)

Yes, there is no way that I would want to shoot this by using the monitor only. I am pretty sure that almost any external 28mm viewfinder will work, such as the one that Voigtlander makes. The Voigtlander viewfinder will probably be a bit cheaper than the one made by Sigma, too.

I, too, hope that it turns out to be a good camera. I can't wait until it is released so we can see what Sigma has come up with.

I don't usually get very excited about new camera releases, but I am tired of doing street photography with my Nikon D2H. :er:

Heck, I've been a fan of little cameras for a long time. They get a bad rap here for being P&S, but a lot of serious photographers know to appreciate a good little camera - esp. if all you need is one hand. As you know, I've had a series of high-end P&S cameras. Right now I use the Leica D-Lux 3, but I actually can't stand it. (I know, I know... blasphemy. Usayit will call me on it, as usual... ;)).

Hey, the best camera is worthless if it's sitting at home. I travel a lot, and always have one with me. I wish it were faster, at least f/2.8, but maybe the big sensor is good at high ISO, and then it will be slightly less of an issue. Here's hoping for the best!

Most reactions

Back