SIGMA: New 85mm/1.4, new 70-200 stabilized

Derrel

Mr. Rain Cloud
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Today, Feb. 20, 2010, Sigma announced a new version of its 70-200mm f/2.8 lens--this one with their Optical Stabilizer system, and a new type of low-dispersion glass, as well as a new 85mm f/1.4 EX-DG prime lens. Both lenses will work on FX as well as DX-sized sensors, as well as 35mm film SLRs.

I think the new 85mm will be attractive to many people who want a modern, fast-aperture 85mm lens, but cannot handle the very high cost of manufacturer's offerings in the high-speed 85mm category.

With Nikon and Canon 70200mm f/2.8 stabilized lenses approach the mid-two thousand dollar range at MSRP, I think SIgma will sell a lot of its new 70-200 f/2.8 lens to those who want a stabilized lens, but do not have the $2,300 or so it costs to buy one from the various camera makers.

I am guessing they did not announce prices yet? I am very interested in the 70-200mm! Cant wait to find out how much its going to cost.

Yep, definitely interested. Thanks for posting this, I thought it was just a rumor.

Kinda curious about the 85. Wonder if it will have all the focus issues the 50 did. But if it performs any where near the 50mm, it should be a big hit!

Kinda cool that it falls in between the two Canon lens in aperture. 1.2, 1.4, 1.8. Choice is good. hopefully Sigma gets some control over their quality as of late.

I like my Nikon 80-200, so i'll stick with that, i don't like how far out the zoom ring is on the new sigma is anyway, the 70-200VR IMO is still too far out.

I'm more curious on the 85mm. I hope it doesn't feel too big. I'm still waiting for Nikon to hopefully make an AF-S 85mm f/1.8 with a rounded diaphragm, just because of cost and size. and the current 85 1.8 is sharper than the 1.4 when stopped down.

That 8-16 sounds CRAZY. i'd love to use one of those!

If that's true I'm sending my new 70-200 back and waiting.

Or maybe keep what I have and start saving for that 85mm, yummy.

What to do, what to do...

Last edited:
Any idea when these are coming out?

I just got the Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 macro... the OS could be useful.
Also just got the Nikon 80-200... maybe I will want the OS on that as well???

I think the OS is much more useful particularly in longer ranges (such as towards 150 or 200) when it lets you get down to say a 1/60 shutter speed handheld.

So, the OS works with the Sony in camera shake... I wonder if that means it will be hand holdable even lower, say to 1/8 or 1/4 second at 200mm. That would be amazing.

Any idea when these are coming out?

I just got the Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 macro... the OS could be useful.
Also just got the Nikon 80-200... maybe I will want the OS on that as well???

I have seen no dates associated with the press releases for any of the new or updated Sigma lenses. However, May and June are big,big camera-buying months, with father's day, graduations, and family vacation times all running together,so if Sigma is smart, they'll try and have these new lenses ready for sale by May. Prices are also still not being mentioned.

I wonder what the difference in quality will be between the new Sigma 70-200 and the Nikon 80-200 (which I have).
So curious... can't wait to see more info on these lenses.

My experience with Sigma's OS has been excellent and at least on par with the original VR, I don't have any experience with VRII however.

Three questions:

1) When do these come out?
2) How much will they cost compared to used Nikon variants?
3) How does their image quality compare with Nikon variants?

Without these questions answered the announcements are useless.

Three questions:

1) When do these come out?
2) How much will they cost compared to used Nikon variants?
3) How does their image quality compare with Nikon variants?

Without these questions answered the announcements are useless.

Lol how are the announcements useless? We know these lenses are coming now and I am personally going to wait for the OS version of the 70-200 sigma lens to come out before I make my big lens purchase.

The prices, release dates and reviews will come later....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back