Sigma new lens announcements

Sigma does seem to launch new lenses faster then other lens companies. I realize this thread has a heavy Nikon feel to it so I'm going to provide my recent Canon/Sigma experience. I ended up purchasing the new Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 with image stabilization. The first non-Canon lens I've purchased. After received it three days ago (Friday), I made a few test shots late in the day off the back porch and on Saturday took it to Northern Georgia to Tallulah Gorge State Park and quickly discovered two things... it's heavy and it's sharp. I used a Canon 1.4TC so I ended up with a maximum focal length of 420mm, and with the image stabilization I was able to hand hold it (at 420mm) and obtained a number of great shots. However, at the end of the day, after descending and climbing endless stairs I realized it's not a lens most folks would want to carry due to it's weight. After arriving home I decided to take it out, without the 1.4TC and see what I could do with it. Aiken is an equestrian community so horses are not in short supply and needless to say I ended up with approximately 70 images (RAW Large) of local polo ponies and 10 of a doe with twin fawns that popped up near home. Viewing the images in Canon's Digital Photo Professional (DPP) affirmed my decision to purchase this lens. It's sharp. I'm new to the photo forum and hope to share images taken with this lens in the near future.

It's been rumoured for a while now that canon are close to introducing a 35-120 f/2.8 L series lens, but it's been going on for what seems like ages now, so we'll see if it ever appears. Would be really useful tho...

Most reactions

Back