Sigma or Nikkor?

chrisbrown

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am a beginner with a D40 and I am looking to buy my first lens. I have the kit lens(18-55 f/5.6) and the 70-200(f/5.6). I'm looking for something in the 24-90mm. I have found a Sigma 28-70 and Nikkor 24-70, both f/2.8. My only questions are: 1)Will the Sigma 28-70mm f/2.8 EX DG AF autofocus on the D40? and 2)why is the AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED same range $1300 more than sigma's?

Because range is probably close to the last thing that determines the price of the lens (unless talking about serious telephoto's). Sharpness, contrast, and color is going to be much better on the Nikon lens. It's not always the case, but regarding the two you are considering, there will be about $1300 worth of quality difference between them (if not more).

so in the long run, i should probably get the nikon..will the sigma autofocus on my d40 tho?

If the sigma has HSM, it will. And the difference between the lenses is going to be build quality, and probably image quality. The image quality isn't always enormously better for the substantially higher price of the Nikkor, but it will last a lot longer than the Sigma.

Nikkors are a lifetime purchase, never regretted. That said, beginners with limited cash need to experiment, dabble and play. There is a good case to be made for purchasing adequate quality now and when you get a real job, buy real lenses.

There was a day when you needed to make excuses for using Sigma class lenses, but no longer. Remember the D40 sensor isn't state-of-the-art either.

For what it's worth, my previous reply was Only in regards to the two lenses that you mentioned. There are many, many cases where I would choose the Sigma version over the Nikon equivalent . Example being the Sigma 18-55 f2.8 vs. Nikon 17-55 f2.8. The Nikon is definitely a better lens still, but not $700 better IMO. Same goes for the Sigma 30mm f1.4 vs. Nikon 35/2 for obvious reasons.

From the reviews I've seen though, the Sigma 28-70 isn't exactly a great lens and doesn't really compete against the pro glass of the Nikon 24-70 f2.8.

Hi I just joined today to pretty much ask a similiar question (but, I plan on sticking around :) Um, anywho, I have my D-40, kit lens, and 55-200, but now I'm looking for a super close focus, Nikon is drawing a blank on that one at this point, so I'm considering the Sigma 30mm, 1.4, EX.

Any objections?

Edit: The Sigma is still 700 bucks, so keep that in mind, if there was a Nikkor AF-S 1.4 at this point i'd go for that. But I'm way too much of a noob for manual focus.

...But I'm way too much of a noob for manual focus.

Care to explain your relationship between noob and manual focus?

Your statement throws me since in my world, manual focus is standard noob - followed by years of manual focus while remaining noob, then PERHAPS graduation to autofocus post-noob.

thanks

Hi I just joined today to pretty much ask a similiar question (but, I plan on sticking around :) Um, anywho, I have my D-40, kit lens, and 55-200, but now I'm looking for a super close focus, Nikon is drawing a blank on that one at this point, so I'm considering the Sigma 30mm, 1.4, EX.

Any objections?

Edit: The Sigma is still 700 bucks, so keep that in mind, if there was a Nikkor AF-S 1.4 at this point i'd go for that. But I'm way too much of a noob for manual focus.

Most primes don't focus all that closely from my experience, except for ones designated "Macro". If you want to do macro work, AF isn't all that important either. I actually recommend some cheap AI primes to use on your d40 and a katz eye focusing screen. You can get some wonderful lenses for really cheap and learn to focus at the same time. The only reason you are going to have a problem focusing is because of your lack of a focusing screen. Once you have one, it's really easy. Also, trying to MF with the kit lens is challenging at best.

And for $700, I would consider a zoom. Primes are fun, but one of their big benefits is the cost to image quality and aperture ratio. Once your spending that much, especially on a sigma, you might want to investigate other options.

you might want to investigate other options.

K so if i'm going to learn this manual focus thing...

Maybe a Nikkor AF 1.8??

I realize it is AF but still no good on my D-40..
How much is this focusing screen or do-hickey that you're talking about

Care to explain your relationship between noob and manual focus?

Focusing the Nikkor AF 1.4 through that little view finder was hell for me... even when I got what looked like a good focus my LCD showed me something completely different.

Most reactions

Back