Sigma or Tamron

chris02

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi

I think I have narrowed my choice down to the Sigma 70-300mm F/4-5.6 APO DG Macro or the Tamron AF 28-300mm XR Di LD Aspherical Macro IF f3.5-6.3.
HELP, which should I go for and why?

Chris

I've used the Sigma and it's decent. I don't know about the Tamron. You can read reviews of them both here:

www.fredmiranda.com

In my experience, zooms that cover a huge range, like 28-300, suffer a bit more in quality.

Both companies make a good product though.

er, both not really necesary.
you do realise that they are going to be aweful qualitty compared to the lense you can get for 80 bucks, the 50mm 1.8 or an equivalent for your camera. Noone really need that sort of coverage, pros don't use zooms with the exceptions of some L series zooms which are amazing, and also about 2 grand or more a pop. See if you need a telephoto, get a prime, and if you need a general lens, get a 50 mm prime, or maybe a 28 to 80 or something. But really, can you justify a zoom, when there are cheaper better lenses

Luke said:
Noone really need that sort of coverage...

Well, except people who photograph sports, wildlife, or anything further away than across the street. It's a big world, and the majority of it is far away from the photographer. A long zoom can come in handy.

ksmattfish said:
Well, except people who photograph sports, wildlife, or anything further away than across the street. It's a big world, and the majority of it is far away from the photographer. A long zoom can come in handy.
i mean from 28! to 300!!!!!
of course people use 300, but sports photographers use primes. or mabe the L series 70 to 200 2.8, which is an awesome lens.
Noone need coverage from 28 to 300 in one lens.

28-300 can be a very convienient range. It's a 10x zoom and allows for minimum switching of lenses (and thus minimum dust getting on the sensor, etc.) - Certainly, if your life's work is making the best photos possible, you might stick to the more expensive f/2.8 optics, for for a consumer/amature lens, a wide zoom angle is incredibly useful.

As far as "Pros don't use zooms".....this may have been true twenty years ago, but except for some of the incredibly long focal length ones like the 600mm f/4, I don't know many pros (I define pros as "people who make their living taking pictures") who use primes for a significant portion of their work any more.

I will tell you I have the 70-300mm Sigma you are asking about and I don't think much of it. I think Tamron has better quality but I don't know about the Tamron lens you are specifically asking about. If you need to stay on a low budget then I think the Sigma might be a better choice here. Otherwise I would always reccomend the name brands; Nikon, Canon, etc. as I don't know which you have.

Tiberius said:
28-300 can be a very convienient range. It's a 10x zoom and allows for minimum switching of lenses (and thus minimum dust getting on the sensor, etc.) - Certainly, if your life's work is making the best photos possible, you might stick to the more expensive f/2.8 optics, for for a consumer/amature lens, a wide zoom angle is incredibly useful.

As far as "Pros don't use zooms".....this may have been true twenty years ago, but except for some of the incredibly long focal length ones like the 600mm f/4, I don't know many pros (I define pros as "people who make their living taking pictures") who use primes for a significant portion of their work any more.
consider:
Fashion/portraiture: 50mm 1.4 or the 85 1.2 would be most common, i doubt anyone uses zooms
War photographer: Two bodies, with different L series zooms most likly, one for closeup, onoe for far away (this is from talking to photograhers)
Sports photog: ive only ever seen them use prime telephotos
Landscape: Prime for maximum sharpness
Macro: prime
Product photog/still life: prime for DOF and sharpness
i dont see any position id like to be in other than war photographer that uses zooms. I think learning with a large zoom lens just fosters bad habits.

A person who is considering buying one of those two lenses obviously cannot afford L glass, and would benefit from consumer zooms, so to say that anything less is not worth considering, is stupid.

Digital Matt said:
A person who is considering buying one of those two lenses obviously cannot afford L glass, and would benefit from consumer zooms, so to say that anything less is not worth considering, is stupid.
yeah true, very ture, but thats not what im saying. I'm saying noboday needs that type of range, and using pros as examples. Im saying why buy a zoom, when for the same amount you could get 2 faster better quality lenses. That is, if you want to improve. Otherwise, if you're just shooting as family record/snaps sorta thing, then get a zoom.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back