Sigma Telephoto 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro?

For sports shooting, that's a bit different than shooting from a boat or landscape photography, like I was using it for. For sports, you'd probably benefit from the fastest glass you can afford. The only problem there is that you'd have to dump a disproportionately large amount of cash into a faster lens. For example, I think the 70-200 IS f/4 is around $1000 and the f/2.8 version is over $1500, and neither of those goes up to 300mm. Clearly you just have to decide what is/isn't worth your money for the types of shooting you want to do. For me, I considered the Canon 70-200 IS f/4, but that one had divorce papers written all over it, due to the price. :)

For macro work, if you use a tripod, it probably doesn't make that much of a difference if you have IS or not (assuming your tripod is good). I think I'd get the Sigma if that was what I wanted to use it for, and not waste money on the IS or fast glass. If I didn't want to use a tripod or didn't have a decent one (I actually don't have a decent one, at least not now when Christmas is a few months away, still) I'd prefer the IS, since its real tough to hold a 200mm or 300mm macro lens steady with just your hands.

So... If I shot sports I'd have decided differently than the Canon with IS. If I wanted it primarily for macro and had a decent tripod, I'd have decided differently, too. I don't think you have to have the really expensive lenses to take good or great photos, so if you want to save a buck on the Sigma, I don't have anything negative to say. Just make sure you can live without the IS.

Also, keep in mind that Sigma and Tamron are now making lenses with their version of IS, and the newer Tamron ones have MACRO functions.

This is just MHO.

I have already decided on the Sigma for my first lens. But when I talking about the other 70-200mm Canon L Series im talking a whole new purchase. Which wont happen for a while! Lol, and if I do get that lens It will be for shooting sports only. For Christmas I think ill get the Canon 100mm Macro lens, since Macro is the type of photography I'm most interested in.

Thanks everyone!

Doenoe, what lens do you have..

Zoom Telephoto 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro
or its more expensive counter part
Zoom Telephoto 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro

...???

Is there a difference between those 2 lens'?

Can anyone tell me the difference between APO Sigma lens and the regular DG besides that one is 139 and one is 219?

I got it and really like it. I got it to replace a crappy 80-200 lens that I had, and was very happy that I did. The macro was an added benifit, but it certainly doesnt compete with a dedicated macro lens.

That being said I am very happy with the quality of the lens. Let me know if you want to see any pictures with the lens.

EDIT: after reading the rest of the thread I see that you are in fact looking to see examples.

IMGP4376.jpg

IMGP4405.jpg

I have the APO version.

I got it and really like it. I got it to replace a crappy 80-200 lens that I had, and was very happy that I did. The macro was an added benifit, but it certainly doesnt compete with a dedicated macro lens.

That being said I am very happy with the quality of the lens. Let me know if you want to see any pictures with the lens.

EDIT: after reading the rest of the thread I see that you are in fact looking to see examples.

I have the APO version.

Thanks for the info, seems like this lens is a great value and takes some nice sharp pictures. Im still not sure on wether i'll go for the APO version, still not sure if that will make a HUGE difference in pictures..?

Based on reviews I read at BH and Adorama, go with the APO version.
Dug

Based on reviews I read at BH and Adorama, go with the APO version.
Dug

Ok, I'll go with that. Looks a bit better from the reviews, and all the good pics I've seen from this lens are from the APO version. 219 isn't that steep of a price, just a tad more saving than orignally expected. But its all worth it.

Just out of curosity what is APO? Just so I know what im spending a little more extra for. Thanks guys, your all so helpful!

Ok, I'll go with that. Looks a bit better from the reviews, and all the good pics I've seen from this lens are from the APO version. 219 isn't that steep of a price, just a tad more saving than orignally expected. But its all worth it.

Just out of curosity what is APO? Just so I know what im spending a little more extra for. Thanks guys, your all so helpful!

as per Sigma4less.com

APO (APO Lens)
lens_apo.gif
In order to attain the highest quality images, the APO lens has been made using special low-dispersion (SLD) glass and is designed to minimize color aberration.

dgm_apo.jpg
SIGMA's APO zoom lenses minimize color aberration. As the refractive index of glass depends on the wavelength of light, color aberration occurs when different colors form images at different points. This problem often occurs with telephoto lenses, but the Special Low-Dispersion (SLD) glass and Extraordinary Low Dispersion (ELD) used in SIGMA's APO lenses helps to compensate for color aberration, thereby allowing them to produce of sharp images.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back