Sigma Vs canon = which one take over ???

canonsl2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have look couple sigma lens and alot picture really look sharp/clear
example

sigma 17-50 vs canon 10-18 ultra angle

i feel not right if body canon and put in sigma , does anyone feel like that ???

Aside from "not feeling right", I have heard that Sigma lenses are not the optimum choice. Avoid Sigma.

It's fine. I use a sigma 17-70mm as my main walk around lens on a canon camera. My long lens is a Tamron.

Some lenses are just sharper than others though, so it pays to compare the models.

The Sigma 50mm f1.4 art is better than the Canon 50mm f1.4L.

In general if the lenses are at the same price point and the same age (release date) then Canon can typically beat Sigma, but the line is very marginal these days. Sigma make some great lenses, they also make some cheaper ones that are not as good ,but fit cheaper price points for those who don't have larger budgets.

So when it comes to making choices you have to compare lenses specifically against each other to work out which is the best choice.

Note that comparing lenses online from photographs is tricky because so much of the difference can be the photographer or the shot or the light rather than actual lens quality. So you want specific comparison websites and tools like

Canon, Nikon DSLR Camera, Lens Comparisons
Side-by-side lens comparison: Digital Photography Review : Digital Photography Review
Lens in-depth comparison tool | DxOMark

Or try them out at a local store.

Also note that the two lenses you mention, the sigma 17-50 vs canon 10-18 ultra angle are very different lenses as they cover a huge difference in focal lengths. At wide angles the difference in focal length makes a huge difference. So whilst you can optically compare them, they will still function very differently in the field.

example

i feel not right if body canon and put in sigma , does anyone feel like that ???

no, your comparison pics should be at the same aperture, ISO, shutter and focal length
www.opticallimits.com

Sigma has very different contrast and tonal features than canon. This question is mostly about if you can see it or not. If not, than why all the hassle, if you do than this talk is mostly pointless.

I have never read or heard great things about Sigma. If you go third party, Tamron would be my choice. Canon’s WA lenses are first rate. They come in two price levels and quality. “L” series are more or much expensive. It comes down to this: are you hoping to sell your images or just keep them? If selling is your objective go with the best. If not go with the lower cost lenses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

example

Canon, a lot of photographers are totally fixated on two things, lens sharpness and DxO!
It seems composition comes in at a distant, possibly not even top ten! LoL
My highest priority is being able to send a lens or body or combo to Canon and have it fixed or adjusted or a loaner sent back to me within 24 hours of receiving it.
And they won’t touch anything not made by canon. And I’m not gonna send my camera to Sigma, so as a result I don’t own any 3rd party lenses.
Maybe it’s just me but I really don’t sweat sharpness and have never found a canon lens that wasn’t sharp enough!!!
Yes sharpness is important, but for me at least, not a deal breaker.
SS

Sigma ART. Unless you need it to be waterproof, and droppable on concrete, Sigma ART lenses with match Canon L enough for most people. And since they are half the price, the difference is not noticeable enough for me. Others may have other needs, or a bigger pocketbook.

I have Canon, Tamron, Sigma, as well as lenses from other brands. I do not think one brand is better than others. And I do not feel bad or anything for using 3rd party lenses on the Canon. I primary focus on my budget and the result.

I like my Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 lens on my cropped sensor camera and I really like the last lens I bought for my full frame camera which is the Sigma 24-35mm f/2. This lens is very good even at f/2 across the range. It is like having 24mm, 28mm and 35mm prime lenses in one bag.

Most reactions

Back