Sigma

Sherm

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My local camera shop does not carry Sigma lenses. The owner has told me they have a problem with reliability and that while he would be willing to carry some of their products the company requires that they carry the full line-up. Does anyone have a similar experience?

I am using a Canon Xsi and looking to replace my 18-55mm kit lens. The shop owner is recommending a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD VC. I would like to support this local business but am interested in the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Is true that sigma has some issues with quality control on SOME of their lenses. There are many more lenses that they offer, but there's alot of products they sell that don't have these problems. I've had many, many sigma lenses, never had a problem. There are some who have cefinitely had problems. Yurt going to get conflicting stories about them, but I think the company as a whole, and especially the 17-50, are a safe bet.What the owner didn't tel you was that the 17-50 tamron has extremely erratic AF, and back focuses, hunts, and is just unreliable on many accounts. I'd lay my money on the sigma.Mark

IF sigma requires them to carry the whole line that would be a huge outlay of $ and for a mom and pop that would be silly. I wouldn't do it either.
Somehow I do not think Sigma makes a customer order every product they make. It's not feasible, but I could be way off the mark. Order from Adorama or B&H.

I suspect by "carry the whole line" means that the entire Sigma lens range is put onto the shops ordering system so that any customer could walk in the door and order any lens even if its not been put in stock in their shop. This also means that any risky lenses that can have problems will also be potentially sold through the shop and have to be dealt with by the shop. I very strongly doubt that they expect the shop keeper to buy in stock of all their lenses (esp since sigma make some very expensive glass).

The thing is some of sigma's range are pretty much save bets - their macro range for example - whilst others pull the side down; for example they make something like 4 or more super zooms (50-500mm for example) which even Canon has problems with in their own range (100-400mm L). So that does tend to pull the number of problems up for sigma based on how many they produce.

Sigma also gets some random quality flack because people see 3rd party and then instantly report that it must be lower quality because its not Canon/Nikon made ;)

I love my sigma Im gonna buy the whole line LOL

Right now I am only sold on their prime lenses. I had a 24-70 sigma and was not happy with it at all. If you want 20,30,50,85, 100.. get it!

I love sigma, and my local store only carries like 3 of their lenses. One guy told me about the quality issue too but there's too many people that seem to love them for me to worry about that.

The Sigma 30mm F1.4 was one that was somewhat known for focus issues (maybe due to sloppy quality control)...but I haven't heard anything bad about their 50mm F1.4.

Some of Canon's & Nikon's lenses aren't known for being great either....so it's not really fair to generalize a whole brand of lenses.

their 17 50 rocks and I read a review where it said it out performed the canon in a lot of cases. LOVE IT

Thank you. I'm going to take a closer look.

I really liked my sigma 18-200mm, not a bad lens for the price.

I mean I could understand if the guy was only selling Nikon and Canon, but Tamron doesn't really have a better reputation than Sigma, so to me that hurts his "we don't carry it because they have QC issues" argument. Sounds like the guy was just talking down a lens that he doesn't carry, who knows the real reason they don't carry it, could simply be not feeling the need to have them in their inventory. This happens, unfortunately, at every B&M store of any kind out there. They always talk down the products they don't carry. Heck, they'll often talk down products that they get a lower percentage from.

Love my Sigma 10-20mm.

I have the Sigma 17-70 and it's an amazing lens. It made the Canon 18-55 look like a child's toy. Sigma makes great lenses and they have my complete faith.

I have the Sigma 17-70 and it's an amazing lens. It made the Canon 18-55 look like a child's toy. Sigma makes great lenses and they have my complete faith.

Damn! I didn't see you using any Sigma lenses in Boston Legal??? I will have to look more closely next time!

Most reactions

Back