Silhouttes - C&C please

The first one has too much crud which ties it too firmly to "somewhere in some town, there's a tree" which could be a fine picture, but doesn't go well (for me) with the dramatic abstraction of a silhouette.

The second one is much more appealing, it has the right flavor of abstraction. It suffers because the horizontal of the lower branch blends with the shoreline, which pretty much ruins it. The grasses in the foreground are excellent. Not sure about the bits of tree on the right, I would probably have framed those out, or planned to clone them out. Mainly, though, get a bit lower and throw that branch up against the sky. Let the main trunk carry the tree quickly across that far black shoreline, and place the interesting shapes against the sky where we can look at them.

First one looks very "snapshot" to me, because of the cars, the building, even the patchyness of the tree.

#2 is really nice though!

The first one has too much crud which ties it too firmly to "somewhere in some town, there's a tree" which could be a fine picture, but doesn't go well (for me) with the dramatic abstraction of a silhouette.

The second one is much more appealing, it has the right flavor of abstraction. It suffers because the horizontal of the lower branch blends with the shoreline, which pretty much ruins it. The grasses in the foreground are excellent. Not sure about the bits of tree on the right, I would probably have framed those out, or planned to clone them out. Mainly, though, get a bit lower and throw that branch up against the sky. Let the main trunk carry the tree quickly across that far black shoreline, and place the interesting shapes against the sky where we can look at them.

Thanks for the reply, I never thought of getting lower - guess I was too distracted by the color of the sky, but I do understand your point and will remember that the next time. It is not far from here, I will try again some day. I didnt notice the bits of trees when I took the shot and cropping it in post made it look uglier, so I didnt. I will try harder next time. I guess I need to go out more often :).

First one looks very "snapshot" to me, because of the cars, the building, even the patchyness of the tree.

#2 is really nice though!

Thank you for your reply. After reading your reply and Amolitor's, I now feel the same way about the first photo - guess I had been blind so far :).

I agree with amolitor, I do like the colors and the foreground. Lucky for you it is close.

Seeing is *hard*, nobody does it perfectly. You shouldn't feel bad about letting imperfections get past you, it's gonna happen, it's part of the process.

Agree with above. I really like #2 though

Most reactions

New Topics

Back