"Silky Waterfalls?"

Illininutt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Always wanted that effect. (Budget minded) I know an ND filter/tripod will help...need to buy that filter. Without breaking the bank...which nd filter to buy?

You'll only need a ND filter if you were choosing a aperture setting that caused the shot to overexpose due to the slow shutter speed.

I don't have any ND filters but I use Hoya circular polarizers on several of my lenses and I'm very happy with them.

Don’t get the really cheapest one, you Will regret it. I am not saying get the most expensive something mid range.
I have bought really cheap filters, and wish I had not. One round one the glass fell out of the frame that was meant to hold it and screw onto the lens. A second jammed on the ring light adapter ring and I had to bin that ring light adapter ring as well as the filter
Warned have you been.

Hello and welcome, I agree never buy the cheapest.....

I've had good results with the Cokin square, plastic filters, though I do not use them often. This shot of the Sun was taken midday, light clouds and stacked ND filters (6 stops, total); f/22, 1/100, ISO 100.

cmw3_d750_1801.jpg
by Charlie Wrenn, on Flickr

I have the Cokin set as well and they fit multiple lenses. I also have a round one from Hoya that fits my favorite landscape lenses. The square drop in ones are easier to use, IMO, if you’re using a really dark filter because you can obtain manual focus then just drop in the filter. With the round filters, you’ll have to try to refocus after putting the filter on as it’s almost impossible to screw on the filter without nudging the focus ring or the tripod.

I use Tiffen round filters and pre focus then use gaffers tape to "lock" the focus on the lens and then screw the filter back on very carefully.

Do not buy either the cheapest or the most expensive if your front element rotates, then I think it is really prudent to get a drop-in or Square filter rather than a thread in or screw in type.

I think a 4- to 6- stop is the most useful strength. The 10 stop neutral density filter is for specialized effects.

Do not buy either the cheapest or the most expensive if your front element rotates, then I think it is really prudent to get a drop-in or Square filter rather than a thread in or screw in type.

I think a 4- to 6- stop is the most useful strength. The 10 stop neutral density filter is for specialized effects.

Derrel is correct.
You do not want the round screw on filters.
You want the 100-150mm square drop ins and a holder.
This will give you the option to shift a soft or hard graduated, or reverse graduated filters.
The ability to use more than one at the time , also.

These are absolutely necessary for landscape photography, I have found.

I use a round screw on neutral density, a Hoya 3 stop. It does a good job without breaking the bank or taking up a lot of room in the bag. I have considered adding a 6 stop but really haven't had the need.

On a cloudy day I have been able to just use a circular polarizer and get a nice silky waterfall.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back