silly lighting q

gabelimom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, so I was shooting a model yesterday and was working with two lights. Mine was a Hensel strobe with the modeling light on, and the other light was a bigger softbox but with a modeling light only (no strobe). My question is this: In the shots I took, it looks like only my light was working. I am assuming this is because the other softbox didn't have a strobe. Am I right?

And so my other question (I know I only said I had one) is this: How much does a modeling light sans strobe affect the light in a photo? Is it almost like the light is not even there, or does it slightly affect the ambient light?

Thanks in advance to all!!! :)

Jennifer

Yes, the light without the strobe (modeling light) acts like a lamp or any other ambient light in the room.

It really depends on your overall settings if the strobe seems to be the only light it might just be overpowering the modeling light.

Thank you both for your help! The softbox without the strobe was creating, to me, a lot of light, but as I was checking the LCD, I could see that the light it was producing wasn't even factoring into the shots. Luckily, I had my light (with strobe) in the right spot so the photos are still okay! :blushing:

Thanks again!!!!!:hail:

It's going to take like 50,000 watts of modelling light to equal the power of that one strobe. Unless you have the strobe 50 feet away on its lowest power, you'll never see the continuous light.

Most reactions

Back