Silly question - Do I gain anything by printing a black and white image in color?

PeK77

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I know this sounds ridiculous but I'm going to print a canvas of an image that I converted to black and white. I'm wondering if you lose anything by printing as black and white with the printer vs in color. Black and white is much more affordable.

Thanks for entertaining this question.

This will depend largely on the printer you have and how many different 'blacks' it has. Assuming you're referring to a regular consumer inkjet printer with one or two blacks, then potentially yes; you may lose many of the subtle graduations of gray that are made up of blues and greens.

This will depend largely on the printer you have and how many different 'blacks' it has. Assuming you're referring to a regular consumer inkjet printer with one or two blacks, then potentially yes; you may lose many of the subtle graduations of gray that are made up of blues and greens.

I was going to try a printer online who prints cheaper canvas prints to test them out.

I was going to try a printer online who prints cheaper canvas prints to test them out.

Don't worry about how they print in terms of color vs black & white....just send the photo how you like it, and see what it looks like. If you send them a truly b&w image, but it comes back with a color tint, then you (they) have a problem. But a good lab shouldn't do that.

Of course, you need to have your monitor properly calibrated, so that you can make a good judgment on whether or not the prints looks right.

I know this sounds ridiculous but I'm going to print a canvas of an image that I converted to black and white. I'm wondering if you lose anything by printing as black and white with the printer vs in color. Black and white is much more affordable.

Thanks for entertaining this question.

Lose what? Image quality?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back