silly question on lenses

jackiex_x

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
well it's not silly to me as I'm a beginner.

i'm gonna order myself a macro lens and am wondering how you know if then lens will fit my camera body? or are they all the same diameter? thanks.

Your camera User Guide would state what specific mount type it has and other requirements.
You would then get a lens that has the same/compatible mount type.

Canon 500D ... EF mount, also compatible with EF-S lenses.

I would think any of the EF-S series macro lenses would fit.. and probably the EF's also. I don't know Canon at all.. so cannot make recommendations, but there are many here that shoot macro with Canons, I am sure they will chime in and help you! :)

ah thanks, I didn't realise that meant the diameter also. mine takes EF and EF-S (and is backward compatible). if I buy an EF does that still make the crop factor 1.6 or would that only apply to a EF-S lens?

sorry to appear so dull, this is my first lens purchase :)

ah thanks, I didn't realise that meant the diameter also. mine takes EF and EF-S (and is backward compatible). if I buy an EF does that still make the crop factor 1.6 or would that only apply to a EF-S lens?

sorry to appear so dull, this is my first lens purchase :)

The crop factor is the same for all lenses, regardless of the mount they're equipped with.

What's your budget for this lens? Perhaps we can make some recommendations...

i didn't really want to go over £500. I am considering this one: Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro Lens

Most of us who shoot a lot of macro usually recommend lenses in the 90mm to 105mm millimeter range... primarily due to closest focusing distance. I am sure that Canon 100 would do well for you. Has a lot of good reviews.

That would probably be my choice as well at that price. Just keep in mind that you'll either need a good tripod, or a fast shutter speed, since that lens is not stabilized. Camera shake gets magnified in macro shots like everything else, so extra care needs to be taken to avoid it.

Around £650 there are a couple great stabilized options. The Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS, and the Sigma 150mm f/2.8 OS, are both awesome, and in that price range.

The non-L 100mm Canon that you're looking at is pretty much just as good optically as the L version, it just isn't stabilized.

thanks for your advice guys, very helpful, i've ordered it now. Can't wait :)

I favor the Tel macro lenses. I use the non IS Sigma 150mm macro (discontinued) because of the longer min focus distance the lens is not right in the face of your subject. A good flash setup is almost mandatory. So keep that in mind as a future buy. You can see the results of this lens and flash in the pics I posted in the macro room.

My wife has the Canon 100mm macro you are talking about, and it has been a great lens, light in weight too.

Best wishes on what ever you choose to do.

Most reactions

Back