What's new

Simga?, Tamron? Compared to canon L

shivarn

TPF Noob!
Joined
Nov 4, 2011
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
The dilemma I have is that the lens 24-70mm f2.8 seem to be quite the popular choice and demand for many users.. I know that the canon L version of the 24-70mm f2.8 are the best overall, however price wise they are quite expensive for my current budget.. Tho definitely a thought for the future..

Now I have seen both the tamron and the sigma version of the 24-70mm and they seem quite alright to shoot with. Price is pretty affordable as well.. My problem is, compared to L series, I'm not sure which is better between the sigma lens and the tamron lens.. Any thoughts?
 
There are plenty of sites that specialize in lens comparisons are reviews. Shouldn't be too hard to find with Google.

To add further confusion to the issue, Sigma has a couple different versions of their 24-70mm F2.8. The older version is more affordable ($500-$600) but the newer version, with HSM focus motor is around $900. I would guess that the newer design has some other improvements, but I haven't looked into it. The Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 obviously has a slightly different focal length range. It's cheaper than the others at just below $500.

You really have to do your comparison on a lens by lens basis...but I think it's safe to say, that for the most part...the best Sigma or Tamron lenses can be about 80-90% as good as a typical Canon L lens. But they are typically 50-70% of the price. So in terms of value for your money, the Sigma & Tamron lenses are pretty good. But, to some people, that last 10-20% of quality, is worth the cost, so they buy the more expensive lenses.
 
The dilemma I have is that the lens 24-70mm f2.8 seem to be quite the popular choice and demand for many users.. I know that the canon L version of the 24-70mm f2.8 are the best overall, however price wise they are quite expensive for my current budget.. Tho definitely a thought for the future..

Now I have seen both the tamron and the sigma version of the 24-70mm and they seem quite alright to shoot with. Price is pretty affordable as well.. My problem is, compared to L series, I'm not sure which is better between the sigma lens and the tamron lens.. Any thoughts?

Just a word of warning Shivarn, I have heard mixed reviews about the Canon 24-70 2.8 L. Never assume just because Canon place the L designation on a lens it's the best quality you can get, I was reading an article by a pro the other day who sold his 24-70 L because he genuinely felt it was overpriced and not VERY good, he seemed to think it was pretty awful actually wide open, he ended up buying primes instead. I'm not saying the Canon isn't a good lens by the way, just pointing out it has mixed reviews around the net, I'm not sure the Sigma or or Tamron is much better though.

Photozone.de is the place to check this stuff out!
 
Look for a good used copy of the Canon from a seller that will allow you to test the lens out before buying it, or with an iron-clad return policy. A used Canon L-lens is about as good as a regular government bond as an investment. A brand-new Sigma lens is like a used car...it depreciates by 40% the second you take it out of the box. If you want to buy a Sigma, buy a used one, and let some other poor fool take the huge depreciation hit Sigma is famous for. If buying a used Sigma lens, make sure you get the return options you are entitled to in WRITING and SIGNED by SOMEBODY--with a NO QUESTIONS ASKED policy the best.
 
Look for a good used copy of the Canon from a seller that will allow you to test the lens out before buying it, or with an iron-clad return policy. A used Canon L-lens is about as good as a regular government bond as an investment. A brand-new Sigma lens is like a used car...it depreciates by 40% the second you take it out of the box. If you want to buy a Sigma, buy a used one, and let some other poor fool take the huge depreciation hit Sigma is famous for. If buying a used Sigma lens, make sure you get the return options you are entitled to in WRITING and SIGNED by SOMEBODY--with a NO QUESTIONS ASKED policy the best.

Very true Derrel, even if a Sigma or Tammy is better than the Canon/Nikon version it will still depreciate much faster. Just COS people want those branded lenses like they want Audi's and BMW's.
 
penfolderoldo said:
As long as it's not a Greek government bond! :lol:

Yeah...I bought a couple sheaves of them from an e-Bay seller...I'm using them as wrapping paper!!!
 
Hmm well I'm up for paying extra for the extra quality, I looked at the prices and they were definitely cheap.. But that's what got me thinking about it.. Why it was so cheap. I did however managed to find a 24-70mm L f2.8 canon lens for $1000. And lookin at the rrp prices, that's close to about 40-50% discount of RRP. Even eBay is selling them brand new at $1450. So I have decided to buy it as even after asking around, it seemed to
Be money's worth.. Although the canon 70-200mm f2.8 L at $1200 is also quite attractive.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom