Simple Musician Portrait Shoot

Brandon Hill

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
brandonhillphotos.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I had a short time to photograph NYC singer, Chad Hilligus last weekend but we were able to get what we needed. He's on tour with The Ten Tenors and I met him in the city his group had stopped in. I had a tight space, single light and soft box, minimal props but you know what they say: limitations breed creativity. The setup was pretty basic though so a lot of the shoot was just acquiring a nice relaxed subject that had the tiniest bit of attitude. The goal was to achieve no more than 2 final shots and we had a third that I liked too. In the space we had some simple hardwood and cool wall, and I pulled in a chair for an option. Chad came styled well. That was really all the variety I needed.

$chad-sits.jpg

$chad-chair2.jpg

$chad-looking.jpg

Technical stuff:

I used a single strobe through an octabox. I placed it pretty high and camera right so I had shadow under the nose and a little fill on the shadow side of his face.

Gear/settings: Canon 5D MII, 24-70 2.8, ISO 125, F11. Pocket wizards to trigger.

Post: Desaturated adjustment layers, removed all color from the floor. Subtle magenta color fill layer on the top. Chad has good skin so there wasn't much retouching needed. I'm not a fan of making people look like plastic dolls so I try to retain some of the skin texture.

$stobox-chad.jpg

To read more about Chad and the shoot, stop by my blogpost on the job. Portraits of Singer, Chad Hilligus

Nice work here... but I have to say, I just stopped by your website...

Your work. Is freakin. AMAZING.

So awesome!!

Brandon I also checked out your site, stellar work!

I like the first one the best out of this bunch. Not surprised to see that one on your site.

Hey nice work. Just curious... Do you always shoot wide open @ 2.8? I have same lens & 5dII and find a sweet spot for sharpness a little higher eg 3.5 or so.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back