Simple shot advice

WolfSpring

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was wondering if anyone could tell me what I could have done to make this photo better, besides a fill flash, I've learned since this photo was taken about shadows and fill flash. Thanks in advance:

MomsHouse2007-05-20_106.jpg

shoot her off center. Especially in portraits it's important not to put them in the center, because people are usually "pointing" in a direction. As you can see in this pic, she's "pointing" right. her hands are on the right, she's facing right...so you'd put her in the left of the frame. Sometimes it works the other way...but you know what I mean.

That's just a simple way. Also, you could have got closer and captured a tighter shot.

One thing I like when doing kids, is I dont let them know what's up. Never warn them you're taking a picure, and try to take a picture when they're not posing for you.

Wow, thats different. I appreciate that. I do take alot of non posed shots but this little girl is camera happy she hears the first shutter and she's got to pose. As far as the off center I'd never heard that before I'll definately give that a try. Thanks.

That is a great tip! But make sure that they are facing into or towards the middle of the photo. I would try to place them about a third of the width of the picture from the edge.

Also, use a reflector to lift the shadows on her face.

Ya, as mentioned, thirds are really attractive to the human eye in photography for some reason. divide your viewfinder into three vertically and compose your shot on one of those imaginary lines. Same goes for horizontally...imagine a grid...

If it gets to complicated that way...just estimate a third from the edge, and you can always crop it later.

I quickly cropped the shot like I would have.. It might no be worth a dime, but it's a suggestion..

forslag2.jpg

forslag1.jpg

Let me hear what you think.

Fo

I really like the B&W one, that really captures the moment of what we were doing. IT gives me some shooting ideas next time I'm at my mom's house. Thanks alot

You have a difficult case. Body and face pointed in different directions. Usually if this happens I base on face.

This is my variant -

sample1.jpg

Now that everyone started to edit your photo here, WolfSpring, I felt enticed to do the same and give it the crop I thought it would best have when I saw it first (for the very centredness - see, her face is DEAD-centre! - just does not work here), so here is my edit now:

WolfSpring_MomsHouse2007-05-20_106_.jpg

And I am looking forward to seeing more childrens' candid portraits next time you get to your mom's!

I do have a site I run from my computer, it's not much just a bunch of pictures I've taken of my family. http://www.reekiefamily.com I need to update it more often and maybe learn flash so I can make it look more presentable. Almost all of the pictures are mine, except the ones of me obviously, and some older pics scanned. It's got a lot of candids of my kids on there, you can tell how much I love my children, they are the breath of life I think everyone should experience.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back