simulation of a car vs simulation of a camera

greatestfix

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
simulation: imitation or enactment, as of something anticipated or in testing.

Many people come to this site to see what camera is better for them but are even more confused after leaving the site than before coming. Everyone has their own opinion on what camera is better but thats their opinion not facts. Their is a car commercial on tv thats says you can ride in the car you want and never leave your home, simulation on the net. Would really buy a car from that alone. You would actually want to go to the dealership and find out on your own how smooth dose it ride and handle with you. Its the same with a camera don't take other people advise and be stuck with something you really don't want or need! Not being a wise guy but we need knowledge but sometimes its best to go to the source.

knowledge: acquaintance with facts, truths, or principles, as from study or investigation; general erudition: knowledge of many things

I think you need both ... knowledge/simulation, and hands-on-testing.

simulation: imitation or enactment, as of something anticipated or in testing.

Many people come to this site to see what camera is better for them but are even more confused after leaving the site than before coming. Everyone has their own opinion on what camera is better but thats their opinion not facts. Their is a car commercial on tv thats says you can ride in the car you want and never leave your home, simulation on the net. Would really buy a car from that alone. You would actually want to go to the dealership and find out on your own how smooth dose it ride and handle with you. Its the same with a camera don't take other people advise and be stuck with something you really don't want or need! Not being a wise guy but we need knowledge but sometimes its best to go to the source.

knowledge: acquaintance with facts, truths, or principles, as from study or investigation; general erudition: knowledge of many things

Discouraging someone from buying a D40(x)/D60 because of the lack of AF motor is just my opinion? Pretty sure it's fact. About 90% of the advice given on a camera on here is based on fact, the problem comes in the question of which facts and feature's are most important to a particular buyer. Since every buyer is different than all that can be done is to give the facts about our recommendation and the reasons why those facts are important vs. another camera's facts/features.

Opinion's like, "it felt better in my hands than X camera" are something that the potential buyer needs test out for themselves.

In comparison, in testing a car, there is no need to test drive one just to see if it actually does have a 6 disc changer. That is a fact that can be seen online. What is needed, is to decide if that is a selling point for you. Also you might want to see if the sound quality is as good as they claim (i.e. testing the camera to see if YOU think it feels better in your hands). This is where it would be beneficial to go look at the car yourself.

I know I am going to get flack for this, but... I think that asking someone on a forum what lens or camera to purchase is pretty lame.

I look online for professional reviews, specs, prices... make a choice of which 2-3 interest me, then go and look in real life which ones I like better. If I need more info, I consider renting or talking to a person face to face that owns one of what I am considering and can show me real life what they are talking about. I have yet to be refused to look and play with a lens or camera in a photography shop, even though only a couple pieces of my equipment were not bought online. If I see what I want in real life, not an online picture, then I look locally and on the net for the best deals. I have never been ripped off and I have never experienced buyer's remorse.

A forum's true advantage is a place to learn and share technical info and technique, not make a purchasing decision. It's a nice place to kibitz too... but if I want to do that, I'd again rather talk to my friends, REAL friends with real faces and voices, not online. One advantage concerning purchase info is to ask about quality or build issues... but don't be asking which is better, as I said, thats lame.

Anyone that purchaes ANYTHING by asking people online for their opinion deserves what they get. They may get lucky and be happy... but I bet that a very high percentage could have made WAY better decisions or just out and out made bad choices because they were too lazy to go out and do the research themselves.

I discuss opinions when someone asks, or I dispute specs or questions of quality, but inside, I'm thinking... "ok, if this is all that you are doing, you got what you deserve, so shut up and don't complain later".

Most reactions

New Topics

Back