Singapore F1 GP (2008)

cassio

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just wanted to share these shots from last year as I'm quite excited to be at the 2009 race. :)

Felipe Massa

3730657547_e6d864723e.jpg

Winner: Fernando Alonzo
3730657539_9f5b6f9f90.jpg

More in my blog.

--
Follow my travel blog, Adventure Travel Asia!
Get email updates here

nice shots! i love f1! i wish we had a track here so i could take pics! love em!

Great shots and editing.

Could you share your camera settings for the first image? I ask because I just got into automotive sports photography and might be getting even more into this coming year.

Thanks for any info!

Thanks guys!

@inTempus,

First one was shot at 1/25, f5, ISO 100. Using the old Canon 80-200 f2.8 on my 400D.

The event was 3 days. The first 2 days were practice and qualifying runs so I got to practice and play with the settings that time. Final race is on the last day.

I was playing around 1/10 - 1/25 shutter. 1/10 is already too difficult! I didn't get anything useful that time. 1/25 is more forgiving.

Use a monopod or tripod for your panning shots. My tripod broke in the middle of the race so I had to go handheld, which meant I lost so many shots due to cam shake! :(

The 400D has a slower Servo AF so I kept myself to One Shot focus. Also, if I used the Servo AF, the cam tends to capture the fencing.

One thing I learned from the F1 photography workshop is to focus on the helmet. Even if the car is blurry due to speed, but as long as you can keep the driver's helmet in focus, you'll get a great shot.

Hope this helps! Don't forget to share your pics with us!

Thanks!

Sick photos dude, awesome :D:thumbup:

Cassio: How do you focus on their helmets when they're going 200mph ?

Sick photos dude, awesome :D:thumbup:

Cassio: How do you focus on their helmets when they're going 200mph ?

Thanks! The trick is not to shoot them while they're going 200mph. ;)

Position yourself at the corners where they slow down. Also, the corners are where the cars overtake, which makes interesting shots too. :)

thanks cassio for those tips :D

hopefully there will be more trackdays in teh future soz i could practice :D
(but .. an 18-200 first before anything.. lol i wish)

thanks cassio for those tips :D

hopefully there will be more trackdays in teh future soz i could practice :D
(but .. an 18-200 first before anything.. lol i wish)

No prob!

I've compiled my F1 photo tips here. I attended a free workshop by Darren Heath. His site is worth visiting.

The 18-200 would be difficult because of the variable aperture. You can still use it but need to bump up your ISO when shooting at 200mm.

Also at f5.6, the fencing will start to show. But if you're not shooting through the fencing, then that should be fine.

Enjoy!

That first shots great, looking forward in seeing more.

Kelvin

great shots! I am attending my first F1 this week. I have some newbie questions: i have tickets for the Bay grandstand area. Would they allow me to use a 70-200mm lens there? I am getting the impression from some people that only point and shoot cameras are allowed? Thanks in advance for any help on this query.

Most reactions

Back