Single focal length proS

stepollard1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hiya guys,
what are the main benifits from using a single focal length lens apposed to a lens with zoom capabilty?

In most cases, I remember the saying "Jack of all trades, master of none"

While zoom lenses offer great flexibility, they are often not the masters of images quality. The more zoom range a lens has, the less image quality there is (there are exceptions though). So shooting a 50mm 1.4 at f/5.6 will give a better image quality than shooting a 24-70 at 50mm and f/5.6 which will give a better image quality than shooting an 18-200 at 50mm and f/5.6

They are often cheaper than the high end zooms.
They are alot lighter than the high end zooms.

A better quality image. No zoom lens is as good across it's range as excellent fixed focal length lenses. However, in today's digital world, you can put a zoom on a DSLR and for the most part leave it there which goes a long way to keeping dust out of the camera. The advantages of fixed focal length lenses have to be weighed against a clean versus dirty sensor.

So a photographer in a studio would be better suited to a fixed lens, same distance from his subject on a daily basis...where as somebody like me will benefit from a zoom lens, for example going walking with the dogs etc

So a photographer in a studio would be better suited to a fixed lens, same distance from his subject on a daily basis...where as somebody like me will benefit from a zoom lens, for example going walking with the dogs etc

Anyone using a camera would enjoy the same benefits that are afforded by a FFL lens.

-Pete

Dust shouldn't be a concern as it's easy to clean and part of normal DSLR maintenance - even if you're having someone else do it.

If you want a brand new sensor for every picture you take, shoot film :D

If you're doing architectural photography or any type of photography involving long, straight lines, zoom lenses are also more prone to distorting than are prime/fixed lenses, especially towards the ends of their zoom range, which will make straight lines either bow out or look pinched in.

Most reactions

Back