Single Light Glamour (Slightly NSFW)

Tropicalmemories

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been playing around with LED lights to see if I can replace off-camera flash with a simpler-to-use, low cost set up.

I think constant lighting works well with my mirrorless camera, as I can see the effect of the light real-time. But the power is lower than flash, so I need to shoot at wider apertures (hence the slightly out of focus hands).

This was a single LED ringlight through a white umbrella. After looking at the test shots yesterday I bought a higher power Viltrox LED light and will try a two light set up when my long suffering 'model' gets back from visiting her Mum :)

I also tried a black and white conversion in Lightroom using the yellow filter.

Fuji XF35mm @ f1.4. 1/200 ISO 400

Any suggestions or tips welcome.

2019_0813_23372700_20190817040027396_20190817043742211.jpg

LRM_EXPORT_440372028343953_20190817_040737813.jpeg

Lovely shots, lovely subject. Thank her for being willing to share her work.

I like the shots (both of them). Here are some suggestions.
1. Change you angle to her. Move more to her left so you're not shooting her quite to straight on. It will emphasize her cleavage more, emphasize her thigh more, the knee won't look quite as big (foreshadowing).

2. Light her hair better. Or at least go in post-production and dodge it. She's got lovely, shiny, coal-black hair and in both photos there is no detail, it's just a mass of darkness. So maybe you put a light on the side of her hair to bring out some highlights or get a little reflection. Or maybe some backlighting to give her a modest halo effect and still bring out a bit of hair detail.

3. A narrow DoF is pretty consistent with a lot of boudoir photography. In fact, you should try reshooting this pose but play with the DoF. Have at least one shot at about f2.8 or narrower so just her face is in focus. Particularly given the angle you're shooting from, it should be lovely and a classic boudoir shot.

A few last tips on the pose. One that is a personal preference of mine--have uneven elements within the pose. Unless you're deliberately going for a pose that is symmetrical, don't make things look so posed. Specifically, look at where her top is on each shoulder--it's not natural. Have one side higher (or lower) than the other. Given this pose and the angle change I suggested, I'd raise the top on her left should a few inches (and then have her hair over it)--give that a try.

Also, have her open up her right hand (no fist--which stops the visual flow to the pose). And on her left hand, just have her drop that hand so it doesn't stick out as much. She may need to move her left elbow more to her right on her lap in order to do that. Finally, as you play with angles on that pose, look at the fabric on her right thigh. Not a big issue with this angle on that pose. But if you continue to move around to her left, you want to tuck that fabric around her butt. This gives her a longer thigh, a more flowing line. It will make her look taller and (believe it or not) thinner. It's part of the optical illusion of how poses affect the perception of how tall, thin, busty, a model will look.

Lovely shots, lovely subject. Thank her for being willing to share her work.

I like the shots (both of them). Here are some suggestions.
1. Change you angle to her. Move more to her left so you're not shooting her quite to straight on. It will emphasize her cleavage more, emphasize her thigh more, the knee won't look quite as big (foreshadowing).

2. Light her hair better. Or at least go in post-production and dodge it. She's got lovely, shiny, coal-black hair and in both photos there is no detail, it's just a mass of darkness. So maybe you put a light on the side of her hair to bring out some highlights or get a little reflection. Or maybe some backlighting to give her a modest halo effect and still bring out a bit of hair detail.

3. A narrow DoF is pretty consistent with a lot of boudoir photography. In fact, you should try reshooting this pose but play with the DoF. Have at least one shot at about f2.8 or narrower so just her face is in focus. Particularly given the angle you're shooting from, it should be lovely and a classic boudoir shot.

A few last tips on the pose. One that is a personal preference of mine--have uneven elements within the pose. Unless you're deliberately going for a pose that is symmetrical, don't make things look so posed. Specifically, look at where her top is on each shoulder--it's not natural. Have one side higher (or lower) than the other. Given this pose and the angle change I suggested, I'd raise the top on her left should a few inches (and then have her hair over it)--give that a try.

Also, have her open up her right hand (no fist--which stops the visual flow to the pose). And on her left hand, just have her drop that hand so it doesn't stick out as much. She may need to move her left elbow more to her right on her lap in order to do that. Finally, as you play with angles on that pose, look at the fabric on her right thigh. Not a big issue with this angle on that pose. But if you continue to move around to her left, you want to tuck that fabric around her butt. This gives her a longer thigh, a more flowing line. It will make her look taller and (believe it or not) thinner. It's part of the optical illusion of how poses affect the perception of how tall, thin, busty, a model will look.

All great advice - thank you!

I bought a second light this week, so I can try to improve the light on her hair.

We'll also have fun working on her poses.

My main tip would be to tremendously slow down your shutter ...you list 1/200 Second… I think it's too fast… If you were tripod mounted you would be able to go to a much slower speed like 1/30 of a second or even slower. Working with continuous lights 1/200 of a second forced you to stay wide open at F1.4… Thus limiting your depth of field

Last edited:
Adding to what others have said, just my personal feeling but I'm not sure the high angle works. Normally I use it to make a small subject appear small or vulnerable, but with an adult to me it looks odd. The other thing the wall corner/baseboard in the background is distracting.

I would agree about the hair needing more detail. One technique I use in light room is to make three dodging passes...it is much easier to make it look natural and invisible when you lighten very lightly three times instead of one time. If for example you darken the entire frame by a factor of two stops, then you can lighten areas in three passes of roughly .6 stops. This is a really good technique, and after about a days worth of practice in Lightroom you'll become quite proficient at it. There are various tutorials around the web about selective dodging such as on the arms,the forhead,the bridge of the nose, etc..

Last edited:
Thank you all for the great tips!

I've not had a chance yet for another go with my 'model' - she had Mother visiting duties this weekend - but here's an edit of one from our last session trying to apply some of your advice.

LRM_EXPORT_528849603902124_20190819_143218572.jpeg

Will post more after we've had a 're-shoot'. I also bought another light last week to help with hair lighting.

One word....Wow! I like this one very much!

This newest shot is much better than the originally posted shot---the darker background and the lighter subject really adds drama!

I am curious to know if you began by darkening the entire frame and then lightening her up with the adjustment brush tool? Regardless, the final product looks pretty good!

Last edited:
This newest shot is much better than the originally posted shot---the darker background and the lighter subject really adds drama!

I am curious to know if you began by darkening the entire frame and then lightening her up with the adjustment brush tool? Regardless, the final product looks pretty good!

Thank you for the feedback!

I used the brush to extend the dark curtain to give a cleaner background, as I noted the feedback about my messy backgrounds.

I then tried to add more highlights to her hair - but this was not very successful - so I need better light next time.

Then by using a yellow filter for the black and white conversion - this lightened her skin tone.

I also chose a more interesting pose and lower angle shot.

I now need to try and combine the learning into out next 'photo-shoot', but also try to keep it fun.

Not easy!

One word....Wow! I like this one very much!

Thank you - all credit to my model - but the shirt was mine! :)
Well, we knew you contributed something to this shot. ; )

I agree with Derrel on this. Background is much better. Her hands contribute more to the flow--less distraction. Her knee (because it's straight at the camera) looks bigger so if it was turned to her right she'd have a longer, more flowing thigh and the knee wouldn't look as big. All lovely photos, she's great, your work is very nice. Keep posting.

If for example you darken the entire frame by a factor of two stops, then you can lighten areas in three passes of roughly .6 stops

Interesting. I'm curious if you also adjust other sliders besides exposure on the adjustment brush IE Highlights, shadows, clarity, etc. This somewhat similar to a "Cookie cutter" lighting adjustment I learned in PS. With that approach you add a curves adjustment layer with a white mask. Pull the top right corner down to darken the image. Click on the mask then take a very soft black brush and dab in where you want more light revealed. Changing the opacity of the brush reveals more or less.

I need to try your method to compare it to the PS approach. Of late I've been drifting toward the dappled lighting approach.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back