Sizes of polarising filter?

crofi_annan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Can anyone explain how polarising filters are sized?

I want to purchase one for my Nikon FE (50mm and 28mm) but am slightly overwhelmed at the number of different filters and as I plan to order online, I could do with a tip as to one which would be suitable.

Any views appreciated. And many thanks in advance.

C

I think all filters are sized to the lenses you have, the size of the lens is often on the inside of your lens cap, so for example I look at my 50mm 1.8 and I take of the cap and see it takes a 52mm filter

Some filters have different gradients and darknesses, like the neutral density filters, but Im not sure if there is anything extra about the circular polarisor (im still learning too.

You need to know the filter diameter of your lenses. It should be written on the front of the lens.

The size of the filter is an o with a slash through it. It will be written on the body or, on the front of the lense. Also take off your caps and, it should say what size it is.

Go to a good photo store and ask. If the price is not too much buy. Support your local merchants or they will not be there when you need something in a hurry.

Go to a good photo store and ask. If the price is not too much buy. Support your local merchants or they will not be there when you need something in a hurry.

Unless it's Ritz - they never have anything except cheap trash.

Filters are sized in accordance to to the distance across the lens they are made for. Most makes use different lens sizes but are somewhat standardized to their respective make and mount. And contrary to what has been said, it is not always printes on the retainer ring of a lens. (To the best of my knowledge), For the most part the lenses for a particular camera will all have the same Ø, if your 50mm is a Ø - 28mm than it is likely that it will be the same for other general purpose lenses for that particular mount. There comes exception to this when you start getting into telephotos and long zooms but...

Most of my lenses are Ø - 55mm (Canon), but I also have several Ø - 52mm(Canon), Ø - 48mm (Pentax) Ø - 49mm (Minolta) Ø - 62mm(Canon/Pentax 3d party tele) and a Ø -77mm (Canon 3d party tele)

I can think of one exception off hand, that is the Canon FD series, Originally they where all Ø - 55, but late in their run they got down sized to Ø - 52 witch from what I have seen is Canons current size.

...they got down sized to Ø - 52 witch from what I have seen is Canons current size.
Most of mine are 58mm. One is 67mm, one is 52mm, the rest are 58mm.

Most of mine are 58mm. One is 67mm, one is 52mm, the rest are 58mm.

Well, Like I said, It's all to the best of my knowledge, so I could be wrong a a thing or two like that (Particularly Canons current lenses), but I am curious, Are they all first party?

The 67mm is no doubt a tele or long zoom, but the rest I am curious about.

Well, Like I said, It's all to the best of my knowledge, so I could be wrong a a thing or two like that (Particularly Canons current lenses), but I am curious, Are they all first party?

The 67mm is no doubt a tele or long zoom, but the rest I am curious about.
Yes, they're all Canon lenses (made by Canon, not just Canon mount).
The 67mm is the 70-200 f/4L. The 52mm is the 135 f/2.8SF.
The 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 100 f/2.8 Macro, 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 (kit lens), and 75-300 f/4-5.6 all have 58mm threads.

Most reactions

Back