ski trip waterproofing??

stephras07

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I don't know if something like this even exists, but maybe someone can give me a DIY ...

My husband, daughter, and I are going on a short ski trip in a few months. It will be our daughter's first time in the snow (she's 14 months), so I definitely want to take my camera. Is there anything that I can buy/make to protect my camera a little bit? I realize that there is nothing that I can do to completely waterproof it, but I figure any little bit helps. I don't plan on dropping it in the snow, but in case the baby gets snow on it or it is snowing hard, what can I do? TIA :)

actually yes.....I know Canon makes a waterproof case for nearly every point-and-shoot in their lineup. If you're shooting a DSLR you can get aftermarket waterproof cases but some of the cases cost as much as the body themselves.

I went the alternative route and picked up a FujiFilm Z33 waterproof camera. A dab of silicon grease in the battery door just for good measure but it definitely works as advertised. :thumbup:

When I was shooting a rugby game in the rain, I grabbed a plastic bag and covered my entire camera lens and all. The only thing that got wet was me and maybe the lens hood that's it.

I picked up one of these for a shoot in the rain and it worked great, could still get both hands in, see through the viewfinder and all the controls on my camera...

Kata E-690 GDC Elements Cover KT E-690 - B&H Photo Video

Not waterproof, but quite water resistant. The clear covering is more like a vinyl plastic, and the black bits are nylon with elastic drawstring closures. there is a 2 way zipper at the bottom so you can still attach to a tripod, or in my case I have a strap that mounts to the tripod mount (very convenient with this cover).

Skii jackets are waterproof. Put the camera in the jacket pocket and don't forget to zip it up. I've taken everything from cheap, to expensive point and shoot cameras and even DSLRs with me skiing, and they've all survived some of my more fantastic crashes. :)

I picked up one of these for a shoot in the rain and it worked great, could still get both hands in, see through the viewfinder and all the controls on my camera...

Kata E-690 GDC Elements Cover KT E-690 - B&H Photo Video

Not waterproof, but quite water resistant. The clear covering is more like a vinyl plastic, and the black bits are nylon with elastic drawstring closures. there is a 2 way zipper at the bottom so you can still attach to a tripod, or in my case I have a strap that mounts to the tripod mount (very convenient with this cover).

That is awesome - a little more than I was expecting. Would something like this work just as well? Ewa-Marine C-35 Photo Rain Cape EM C-35 - B&H Photo Video

Thanks so much everyone for the tips :) I am really looking forward to our trip. We will also be going to the Sapporo Ice Festival on Japan's north island, so I'm hoping to really get some good shots.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back