Skin Retouching

silver163

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What's a good plugin for Photoshop to do skin retouching? A stand alone program is fine too.

i heard from a few people that the program really isn't good.

Really? I love it. I know many, many, very good, very professional photographers who use it and love it. You just have to know what you are doing.

Really? I love it. I know many, many, very good, very professional photographers who use it and love it. You just have to know what you are doing.
yeah i guess so, judging by those photographers they are one of those who say photoshop is evil and not real.

I've come to the conclusion that Portraiture is basically a surface blur filter that you can fine tune. If you duplicate the layer then add a surface blur with layer mask, then paint it on you will get results very close to Portraiture.
I get results better than Portraiture by using the high pass/gaussian blur technique. Just google "degrunge" if you want to read about this technique.

I'd like to know the answer to the original question too. I have no doubts that good results can be achieved with just Ps or other retouching applications, but these days it is all about saving time while working and while learning how to do it.

Is there a unbiased comparison somewhere on the web? If not it would be useful if someone tried to do it.

It can all be done in house! Check out some examples of my work at http://www.facebook.com/SarahSalabaPhotographyandProductions If you make 2 duplicate layers of the background original layer, then gaussian blur the middle layer, and apply image texture to the top layer, fixing color and red blemishes with clone stamp on blur layer, and fixing zits and spots with patch tool on top texture layer, it creates beautiful smooth, softness!!

My friend uses the portraiture plugin, and she still has to go back a layer and sharpen. She claims it does not recognize the hair and eyes and not blur them as it claims. I think if she took her time then it would work good and not over do it. Some photos are over processed and the person looks like the have a baby doll texture face. I like blurring, but not enough to change the person.

Oh boy..

Skin re-touching isn't a plug-in kind of thing. I mean, it is for a quick fix. But skin retouching is such an art; if you'd like to really be good at it, I'd suggest starting with basic dodge / burn techniques, then move on to 'carving'.

My workflow for skin retouching

1. Spot healing
2. Dodge / burn
3. Carving
*I also do SOME mixer brush work, but I set it to skin tone at 4% on an overlay or softlight adjustment layer and work slowly. I used these techniques on her skin below, (aside from the coloring n such, you can get an idea)

$B_A_CHELS_FASHION.jpg

Old thread is old.

Most reactions

Back