Slide projectors

KevinDks

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've recently started shooting slide film again, and was amazed at how great the slides look on the lightbox - I'd forgotten how good they can be. I've started a project for which I've decided 2008 is going to be my 'Year of Kodachrome', and the feeling that I get from transparencies generally makes me think I probably won't be using much else for a while.

I've got a Nikon Coolscan V but I'm a little disappointed with the results, and for casual viewing I would like to get a projector. eBay has lots of old Kodak Carousel and other models, but I can get a new Braun Novamat for around £120 and I'm very tempted to buy one, although I haven't ruled out a used model and that's what my question is about.

Looking at various new models the cheaper ones tend to come with 150 watt bulbs, the more expensive ones with 250 watt. Does anyone have any first hand experience with 35mm projectors or recommendations they would like to share, and in particular does anyone know from experience that 150 watts is enough for home use?

Many thanks in advance

Kevin

Whatever you pick, make sure there are plenty of slide trays available.

Thank you both for your replies. Early, you make a very good point - one thing I noticed about the Braun projectors is that even the cheapest model takes 3 different types of slide trays, and the more expensive ones take 6, including carousels.

Judge, I thought that would be the case, but I can't envisage how bright 150 watts is. After I posted my question I was thinking about whether the extra light would be an advantage with denser slides, but I suspect it isn't a case of double the power = double the light.

Many thanks again

Kevin

Used ones are dirt cheap like other film gear these days, it's hard for me to see the value in a new one.

Dave

Used ones are dirt cheap like other film gear these days, it's hard for me to see the value in a new one.

Dave

Exactly my dilemma, although I checked the completed listings and quality models are fetching surprisingly high prices on eBay. I think I'm going to monitor the listings for a while and see what comes up.

Kevin

Most reactions

Back