Slightly missed focus

Eventer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.michelleclarke.co.nz
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all! been a while since I've posted but I'm back!
Okay so I shoot horses 90% of the time. Ive recently noticed that occasionally the focus is missed and no settings change between photos etc Its definitely hard to nail it every time with shooting such a fast subject in some challenging conditions.
I'm not shooting with the best/fastest gear out there but most the time its spot on and sometimes not - getting frustrating...
I tried to find similar photos but theres seems to be no pattern to when focus is off.

1416122623.66_DSC_8102.jpg -sharp
F Number: 5
Exposure Program: Aperture-priority
ISO: 400
Shutter Speed: 1/2000
Aperture Value: 5
Focal Length: 185.0 mm

1416124403.18_DSC_8085.jpg -not so sharp
F Number: 5
Exposure Program: Aperture-priority AE
ISO: 400
Shutter Speed Value: 1/3200
Aperture Value: 5
Focal Length: 135.0 mm

Is there something I'm not doing - or does my camera need a service?

Thanks in advance

even when my subjects are holding still I miss a focus now and then with a wide aperture.

Second one looks back-focused by a few feet. My guess is single-point AF landed on the horse's torso, and got confused, and focused back, right where the wooden fencing is. I do not have Nikon Capture on this computer, but I think opening the file up and looking at the active AF point might show where the active AF point was. This is just a guess, but I have seen it many,many times.

AF-C, meaning AF, Continuous, will fire at any time the release is pressed fully. Sometimes, the lens will be focusing, or re-focusing, when a shot is fired. Slower-aperture lenses seem to do this more than the fast, pro-grade lenses do, simply because the slower-aperture lenses provide the AF system with less-definitive "in" and ":eek:ut" data for phase detection AF operation. Some subject matter, like single-tone, low-contrast targets, like sayyyyyyy, the torso of a horse, perhaps, or a plain, no-numbers shirt, etc. can fool an AF system, and cause it to "seek" a little bit more definitive AF, and BOOM! you mash the release, and the focus is off a bit.

At times, really strong, high-contrast subjects can pull the AF system off of the ostensible target, and onto something in front of or behind the subject; see the vertical slats in that fencing? THAT is a very,very,verrrry strong type of target for an AF system: white boards against dark grass...

There are times when a multi-area AF pattern will work better than one, single AF point being active.

Thanks Derrel!
Makes a lot of sense. I find it often will have the focus then its jumps around a bit trying to refocus - and thats especially hard to work with on a gloomy day with a dark horse against a dark background with bright white/coloured poles that I don't want the focus on.
Is there any settings I can try to minimise this or do I really just need a better lens? (It is a lens upgrade I need not a body right?) I really want the 70-200mm F2.8

I have the 70-300 VR which is f/4.5~5.6...it sometimes re-focuses or does not focus quite "right", even in decent light, it can go off-subject or fail to focus properly...the 70-200/2.8 doesn't do that.

Really fast focusing lenses can have the other problem - whereby if you happen to pan too fast or too slow and the point of focus moves off the point you want it on the lens can end up re-focusing very quick to that change - suddenly your subject is out of focus and whilst you can move back to regain focus there is, again, that re-focusing time which can sometimes cost you a shot.
That said I'd always always take a faster focusing lens - because any correction is also done quickly.

Also any time the subject is moving toward or away from the camera will be a challenge (since the camera has to constantly re-focus). Practice helps, but yes you will still get duff shots.

One thing some photographers do for events is to -pre-focus on the middle of the jump; then if your angle and depth of field are right you can just fire the shot as the horse comes over and the shot is already focused.

You might also find that if you follow the horse with the camera you could get other jumps or parts of the scene appear in front of the subject as you follow - this might result in sudden loss of the point of focus you want as the camera locks onto the closer point of detail.

what lens are you using?
your profile lists a Nikon VR 75-300 but the 75-300 is an older screw drive non-VR lens ?
I had a 75-300 and it was nice but not good for fast motion.

I also had a 70-300 VRii but I found that also lacked in focusing for fast motion/sports (drove me completely nuts using it because of focusing issues like Derrel mentions). I nearly went to a manual focusing lens because of that lens. I figured I would have a higher hit rate than that lens.

I've stuck with my 80-200/2.8 AFD lens for most action stuff as I get a high focus hit rate with that even with lower contrast situtations. It focuses where I want it to focus.
I also use a 300/4

Thanks for that thread link! Its all the issues i'm having - totally seems like I might have to upgrade at some point. Not that my bank acc will like that, ill try to get away with it for a but longer untill I can afford the 70-200mm/2.8. Was really hoping it was just a setting! a bit gutted as when it nails it the photos are perfect!

I see you are also using the D7000. I have one as well, and something to check that will give you fits is option "a3" in the "Shooting menu" called "focus tracking with lock on". Set this to OFF.

This feature has been the source of many a missed focus shot for people.

I own a Tamron 70-300 VC lens, and find the focus is actually quite good at tracking even fast moving subjects. With good technique, and the above mentioned setting turned off, I rarely miss focus unless it's something I did wrong.

I own a Tamron 70-300 VC lens, and find the focus is actually quite good at tracking even fast moving subjects. With good technique, and the above mentioned setting turned off, I rarely miss focus unless it's something I did wrong.
Same here... It's a surprisingly good lens for fast moving subjects.

By the way OP I love your HIF (Horse In Flight) shots. The horses in my neighborhood just generally stand around and stare at me and let out the occasional fart. Underachievers.

If this helps a bit. even when I'm shooting at 12 FPS with a fast focusing system, they aren't all sharp. It's just the way it works at times.

One thing some photographers do for events is to -pre-focus on the middle of the jump; then if your angle and depth of field are right you can just fire the shot as the horse comes over and the shot is already focused.

You might also find that if you follow the horse with the camera you could get other jumps or parts of the scene appear in front of the subject as you follow - this might result in sudden loss of the point of focus you want as the camera locks onto the closer point of detail.

Funny you mention that, I actually did use to focus in the center of the jump when starting out in this mad equestrian world - But i found i had the same issue really, The pole would be in focus but the horse just off. So i was taught to not to do that. Unless the horse is jumping straight toward me then I still use that technique, especially if the jump is big and solid and half the horse dispersal behind it before take off!
and
Thanks 18.Percent.Gary! Show jumping is so much fun to capture rather than dressage for example! Although its also fun to play around with some arty shots in dressage

If this helps a bit. even when I'm shooting at 12 FPS with a fast focusing system, they aren't all sharp. It's just the way it works at times.
I find I'm actually one of the only photographers shooting horses that only takes 2 max, photos over a jump (Theres really only ONE possibly two if you include the landing, shots over a jump you want). I stand next to a few different professionals at some events and the so often take about 10fps over one jump - is this to kinda guarantee sharpness/ timing? or once the first frame is taken and its OOF, then all the following frames will be too?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back