slim-ish add-on flash for fill flash?

TWX

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Since a lot of my photos are family photos outside during the day, and since we're pasty-pale we wear a lot of hats, shadows have been problematic. I read-up a bit on fill-flash and experimented with it yesterday using the 77D's factory pop-up flash. It helped quite a bit, but with the 18-135mm lens and hood I see the noticeable shadow on the ground cast by the lens/hood itself. I assume that this shadow effect would be worse with the 17-55mm as it has both a larger front element and a larger hood.

There's a Craigslist seller with several 90EX flashes for sale pretty cheap, like $50 each or $120 for all of them. It looks like the 90EX is a weaker flash than the camera's integrated unit, but it would have an advantage of height over the popup flash. I suppose my question is, will this extra height result in its own set of undesirable shadows, or would it be worthwhile for a low price? I see that it has some ability to act as a master-flash too, which would seem to open up possibilities without having to shell-out a lot of money.

Likewise, are there other inexpensive relatively low-profile flashes that you'd recommend for this application? Something too big is just not in the cards, but something fairly small with enough power for fill has appeal.

Having a specific experience with this situation I can attest yes it will help greatly and moreover, any shadow (to whit there always will be one) will either be so far off the center of the image or out of photo as to not make much issue.
But that is if it is mounted on the camera.
Using most Canon flashes today, can be had with remote control and shooting off camera.
The 90ex is small but effective at close distances.
For consideration alone, I would look at the 430EX as well and something with a swivel head.
This will allow bounce in creative ways.

The other thing to consider is multiple flashes for specific setups.
And the use of bounce pointed up or down, especially with hats. The result is usually quite satisfactory but takes a bit of getting use to.

Having a specific experience with this situation I can attest yes it will help greatly and moreover, any shadow (to whit there always will be one) will either be so far off the center of the image or out of photo as to not make much issue.
Using most Canon flashes today, can be had with remote control and shooting off camera.
For consideration alone, I would look at the 430EX as well and something with a swivel head.

And the use of bounce pointed up or down, especially with hats. The result is usually quite satisfactory but takes a bit of getting use to.

I've thought about that but the problem is then the setup is just too big for casual walk-around. Remember, I'm also doing daddy-duty keeping a two year old out of trouble or rescuing her when she gets up too high on the monkey bars and freezes up. I need to be able to either swing the camera around out of the way or to sit it down in order to deal with that stuff.

I've thought about that but the problem is then the setup is just too big for casual walk-around. Remember, I'm also doing daddy-duty keeping a two year old out of trouble or rescuing her when she gets up too high on the monkey bars and freezes up. I need to be able to either swing the camera around out of the way or to sit it down in order to deal with that stuff.
430 ex or poss 270. The 90 ex will do the job as I said, but is small power.

Good luck with the wee one.
They are wonderful handful!

LOTS of inexpensive MiC units (Godox, Neewer, etc) with high guide numbers that will be just fine for this sort of occasional use.

I would look at a MIC bounce-capable flash, for the bounce capability alone. The added power over the 90EX is another added Plus.

Most reactions

Back